When someone says “quilts,” what probably comes to mind is the old fraying star-patterned quilt on your grandma’s bed. Quilts have been a longtime symbol of nostalgia, but recently we’ve stumbled upon modern patterns and fresh designs that are more fit for you urban dwelling than for your cabin in the woods. Take a look at these 21 quilts that are fit to flourish in your apartment.
1. Modern X: Go bold with this black and white X pattern that boasts a touch of neon green right in the center. We bet it’ll make you want to hang out in your bedroom more often. (via Christa’s Quilts)
3. Plus Sign Quilt ($320): While we’re talking shapes, check out this plus-sign quilt! If you’re big on Scandinavian design, this will add a splash of minimalistic color to your beautiful abode.
4. Color Study Coral ($1,600): Denyse Schmidt’s quilts aren’t cheap, but if there’s ever been someone we’d call a quilt artist, she’s the one. There’s a reason she’s commissioned for special projects on the regular, and seeing her work on display at a museum isn’t all that uncommon.
5. Kaleidoscope Patchwork Quilt ($149): While old quilts boasted lots of pastel hues, quilts that feel relevant to our lifestyles now go with contemporary colors to keep your bedroom contemporary cool.
7. Boardwalk Quilt ($365): Another of our favorite quilt makers, Hopewell design workshop is operated by two young women, Eliza Kenan and Claire Oswalt. When you get an eyeful of their quilts, it should come as no surprise that one is an art director and the other is a trained fine artist.
9. DIY Resonance ($12): Keep it subtle with a bunch of gray orbs floating around your feet at night.
10. Modern Quilt ($325): The name pretty much sums it up. Simple shapes and the right color palette are all you need to get there.
13. DIY Society6: This quilt was inspired by a print found on Society6. Follow this 25-year-old blogger’s advice, and you too could be wrapping up in this beauty before the end of winter. (via Blu Print Textiles)
14. Striped Quilt ($140): Spread it in the grass and enjoy your sandwiches in the sunshine while it lasts.
16. Tangerine Ladders ($155): This is just one example of the magic that this stitch wizard is crafting up. Get over to her Etsy page to view her whole collection. Then, spend the next hour trying to narrow it down to just one that you absolutely need.
18. Graphic Baby Quilt ($155): Who can resist a mini quilt?!?!
Are you a quilter? Did you inherit any family quilts that have modern patterns? Let us know below!