If we’re being honest, there’s probably no food more iconically summer than a hot dog. Whether it’s in the backyard, on the boardwalk or at a baseball game, there’s nothing better than biting into a crisp and meaty frank. Until now, that is. These 16 recipes manage to one-up the classic ketchup and mustard creation by adding loads of fresh and delicious toppings to your bun. Test them out at your 4th of July celebration, and we promise you’ll be grillin’ these tasty dogs all season long.
2. Sweet Pork and Tomatillo Hot Dogs: Next time you make pulled pork sandwiches, save some leftovers for these dogs. You’ll love the sweet and savory combo of the shredded pork and dog with a light kick from a homemade tomatillo sauce. (via Creme De La Crumb)
3. Sriracha Guacamole Hot Dogs: In the (hot) dog days of summer, you should make a meal like this spicy guac hot dog to go with the season. That’s right, this guacamole topper is made with fresh avocado and gets a hot, hot, hotter kick from a generous helping of sriracha. (via Damn Delicious)
4. Taco Dog: Taco night meets BBQ night with this recipe. Set up a toppings bar just like you would for tacos so your guests can finish their dogs off with ground beef, lettuce, sour cream, cheese and onion. (via Culinary Hill)
5. Bacon Wrapped Sonoran Hot Dogs: We know we had you at “bacon wrapped,” but just wait for the rest. This dog sits on a bed of pinto beans, creamy avocado and fresh tomatoes for the ultimate in deliciousness. (via Everyday Southwest)
7. Hawaiian Style Hot Dogs: Whatever the food version of getting lei’d is, this hot dog does the trick. It’s loaded with a mango salsa fit for the beach and topped with a sweet pineapple mustard. (via A Spicy Perspective)
8. French Onion Dogs: It may be too hot for soup, but you can still get all the classic French onion flavors tucked inside one bun by topping your dog with caramelized onions, shredded Gruyere and dijon mustard. (via The Curvy Carrot)
9. Buffalo Chicken Hot Dogs: Not only do these dogs give you all the Buffalo wing flavor you crave, but they’re also lightened up by using chicken for the meat and Greek yogurt for the dressing. (via Cooking and Beer)
12. Bahn Mi Hot Dog: All the traditional flavors you love on a bahn mi sandwich have found their way onto your bun. Load your dog up with carrots, cucumber and cilantro, then slather it in a spicy sriracha mayo. (via Lemons for Lulu)
13. German Bratwurst and Sauerkraut: Meet the hot dog’s spicier German cousin, the bratwurst. This fresh take on a grilled hot dog comes with all the traditional bratwurst pairings: red cabbage sauerkraut, mustard and a thick roll. No potato buns here! (via Through Oana’s Lens)
14. Chicken Tikka Hot Dogs: We’re flying across borders for this Indian-inspired chicken dog with smoky coriander and cumin tikka flavors. Top your bun with homemade pickled onion and mango salsa to complete the recipe, and don’t forget the butternut squash fries on the side. (via Oh So Sweet Baker)
15. Heart Attack Dogs: If you haven’t tried putting potato chips on a sandwich, go do it immediately. And after your life and your taste buds have been changed forever, put them on your hot dogs, too. (via Shuttersmack)
16. Pulled Pork Dogs: To paraphrase Joey Tribbiani, bring on the meat sweats! This isn’t just loaded with a beefy frank, it’s also topped with a heaping helping of BBQ pulled pork. And if that’s not enough to sell you, you’ll love adding on the homemade broccoli slaw and creamy queso fresco. (via Cooking and Beer)
What’s your favorite spot, besides your own grill, to grab a dog? Which of these recipes has your mouth watering? Let us know below or on Twitter.