As per usual, it’s the ladies of Instagram that we turn to when a case of the outfit blahs comes our way. Now that it’s starting to feel a lot more like sweater weather (praise hands emoji), the option to pile on the layers and wear toasty fall outerwear is imminent. While a lightweight denim jacket and boho frock will do for now, it won’t be long before some additional layers (cough, cough, a basic AF blanket scarf) will be required to keep you comfy and snug. In lazy-girl speak: You need a scarf (or seven) in your arsenal for a lineup of foolproof #OOTDs with major around-the-clock appeal. Follow in the footsteps of these nine Instababes for all the sartorial inspo you’ll need to rock the season’s most coveted skinny scarves, cool girl-approved bandanas and faux fur stoles.
Bandana Scarves: Stripes and bandana scarves are kind of like two peas in a pod — they just go together. This Instababe not only knows how to work it in a square-neck striped tee and high-waisted jeans, but she makes it look ridiculously easy (almost too easy).
1. Urban Outfitters Basic Bandana ($6): Work this tough-girl accessory to your advantage by knotting it around your neck and teaming it with a lace-up bodysuit or an oversized knit sweater for a little Western flair. It’ll double for an upcoming rock concert, pumpkin picking or just an off-duty day. A felt fedora is practically required.
Knit Infinity Scarves: Not only is Monling Lee a whiz with color, but she knows a thing or two about rocking a chunky infinity scarf that could potentially resemble one of Grammy’s knits. The chartreuse hue pairs harmoniously with her goldenrod frames, sky blue cardigan and cobalt overcoat for a look jam-packed with COLOR.
2. DeNada Alpaca Spiral Infinity ($98): Go bold or go home with this alpaca-blend crochet scarf that promises to bring the drama and keep you insanely warm this season. For some instant color pop, pair it with a cherry red cocoon coat, a millennial pink blouse or some lemon yellow trousers. Pro tip: Allow it to hang loosely or wrap it twice around your neck to block out the elements.
Blanket Scarves: Chic happens, y’all! We’re low-key obsessed with Blair Eadie’s fresh take on styling everyone’s perennial favorite blanket scarf. She steers clear of any predictable outfit formulas by trading in the waffle knit sweaters and riding boots for a leather moto jacket and leather pants. Bonus points for the fringed bag and ankle strap steppers.
3. Nasty Gal Westminster Blanket Scarf ($28): All the more to keep you cozy and snug, this oversized plaid scarf will have you feeling like a prep school dropout in no time. Effortlessly wrap it around your neck or let it hang loose with a leather mini, fishnet tights and biker boots for an alternative look.
Neck Scarves: A little bit Parisian and a lot chic, a versatile neck scarf is the fall accessory you didn’t know you needed, but now won’t be able to live without. Just check out how lovely this floral number looks styled with a navy striped blouse. Can you say ooh la la?
4. Zara Printed Bandana-Style Scarf ($13): Channel your inner French girl with this polka dot bandana style scarf that can be styled in two seconds flat. Seriously! One easy knot, and you’re ready to hit up Sunday brunch or play hostess for the day. But don’t be mistaken — it’ll look just as exquisite with a fisherman sweater and a denim button-front skirt for an afternoon at the pumpkin patch.
Faux Fur Scarves: The secret to avoiding any divaesque references when rocking a faux fur scarf is to dial things way down. Notice how this Instababe has styled hers alongside a gray topper and black trousers for a minimalist look.
5. ASOS Oversized Faux Fur Scarf in Chocolate ($57): Come after-hours, this chocolate-colored faux fur scarf will be your BFF. It’ll look just as ah-mazing with an LBD and a camel coat as a form-fitting turtleneck, cropped flares and velvet ankle booties. Your move.
Wrap Scarves: Frightful weather is no excuse to dress down, especially when you have a fringed wrap scarf with this much day-to-night potential at the ready. This style blogger is definitely on to something with her all-black-err’thang uniform.
6. Urban Outfitters Geo Knit Poncho ($64): The next best thing to wearing a snuggie in public is tossing on a knit poncho-turned-scarf in disguise that’s made for layering. Between frigid November tailgates and downright unbearable morning commutes, this boho-chic fringed winner will have you channeling that comfy-cozy feeling in no time.
Rocker-esque Neck Scarves: Bring on the rocker ‘tude, why don’t ya? This street-style starlet is making us want to run out and invest in a printed neck scarf (and a fierce leather jacket and retro sunnies while we’re at it) for no shortage of biker-inspired looks.
7. ASOS River Island Leopard Print Tie ($17): Not so fast, girly girls! You too can rock this leopard print tie scarf with swagger. The hints of pink will be right in line with your ultra-femme sensibilities. Try teaming it with a turtleneck and velvet pinafore dress for a librarian-chic look, or go full-on glam with a drop-waist dress and a timeless trench in tow.
Plaid Scarves: Oh, this old thang? When you have a plaid scarf this foolproof on standby, you nonchalantly toss it on alongside a color-block coat, stripes, distressed white jeans and heels for a casual-cool look.
8. Madewell Scottsdale Plaid Scarf ($60): Introducing the quintessential wool scarf for all your upcoming fall shenanigans. It’ll serve as the perfect match to your suede button-front skirts, puffer vests, denim jackets and wooly knits. AKA, it’ll never let you down.
Long Silk Scarves: Leave it to Leandra Medine of Man Repeller to make her orange silk scarf look so fly — like in a trying, but not trying too hard kind of way. She rounded out her street-inspired getup with a plaid coat, a shimmery fringe dress, flared jeans and menswear-inspired loafers (paired with ribbed socks, no less). Take note: THIS is what you wear to a Jenna Lyons-themed cocktail bash.
9. Ted Baker Cally Magnolia Stripe Long Silk Scarf ($129): Dress it up or pare it down — this elegant floral scarf is guaranteed to work its magic around the clock. For an HR-approved boardroom look, slip it over a sheath dress or a crisp work shirt and black culottes. Then transition it for the p.m. with a white pocket tee, boyfriend jeans and tennies.
What’s your go-to way to style a fall scarf? Follow us on Pinterest for more fall style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.