The heat is here, and it’s time to get creative with how to cool down. Ice is a no-brainer, but did you know about all the different possibilities that can be accomplished with that chilly cube? From herbs to berries to caffeinated cubes, these 13 creative ideas are perfect for busting out the swimsuit and throwing a pool party. You’ll find that it’s nice to play with ice.
1. Coffee Cubes: This fun take on iced coffee adds in more coffee for a not-too-watery summer sipper. It’s a genius way to keep the flavor of your morning joe going long after the ice has melted away. Here’s another tip: Add coffee ice cubes to a glass of sweetened milk. (via The Kitchn)
3. Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil: Do you have a bundle of fresh herbs that you can’t possibly use up in one go? Try this recipe for herbs in olive oil. Why oil? Preserving herbs in oil reduces some freezer burn that herbs can get. You can pop this over a potato before baking it in the oven, or add it straight into a cocktail. Yes, olive oil and alcohol IS a thing. (via The Kitchn)
5. Lemon Mint Iced Cube: This lemon-mint ice cube is the perfect way to spike a summer cocktail. All it takes is lemon, fresh mint, water and a bit of patience for these green- and yellow-hued jewels to form. Feel free to add in berries or another sprig of basil. The sky’s the limit. (via She Wears Many Hats)
7. 5 Creative Takes on the Ice Cube: We’re going back to one of our oldies-but-goodies with five different takes on flavorful ice cubes you can whip up with what’s in your fridge. From cucumber + basil to fig + rosemary, these are going to inspire some epic punches. (via Brit + Co)
8. Green Tea Ice Cubes: Flavor your morning tea with these icy treats or use it as a beauty product on a hot summer day. Apply to puffy eyes in the morning and the caffeine-and-ice combo will reduce swelling around the eyes. (via Hello Natural)
10. Watermelon Ice: Watermelon has a lot of water in it. This recipe is so simple that you won’t even need an ice cube tray. Simply cut up the watermelon into cubes, put them into the freezer and wait. Add these to sparkling water or a lemonade of choice. (via Taste and Tell Blog)
11. Cherry and Vanilla Ice Cubes for Coke: We’ve all heard of Cherry Vanilla Coke, but how about making your own? Simply throw in maraschino cherries and half a teaspoon of vanilla into an ice cube tray, add water and wait. Throw these gems into a glass of coke and you’re all set! (via Eazy Peazy Mealz)
12. Chai Tea Cubes: If you’re looking for an iced coffee alternative, look no further. These ice cubes are made of black tea steeped with whole spices and ginger. Add to a glass of cold milk for a gradual chai iced tea that gets stronger as you sip. (via The Kitchn)
13. Fruity Summer Striped Ice Cubes: Sure, it looks complicated, but it’s actually really easy. Create the layers by combining different liquids like fruit juice with coconut milk. Throw in some fresh fruit while you’re at it for an extra burst of color. (via Oh Joy)
What are your favorite ice cube recipes? Let us know in the comments below!