Whether you’re ready to admit it or not, the official start of fall is only a few short weeks away, meaning it won’t be long until you’re packing away your favorite summery pieces and saying sayonara to those fine-tuned summer outfit formulas (which you might be able to rock past Labor Day — just sayin’). But don’t go into panic mode just yet — there are plenty of show-stopping fall style trends and must-have accessories coming your way that will flawlessly transition your style into the new season. Of course, new duds are only a part of the equation. There’s the whole styling thing to consider too — a closet of on-point threads doesn’t mean anything if you’re not on top of your #OOTD game. To get you into the swing of things, we’ve pulled some majorly swoon-worthy ensembles straight from Insta that practically define effortless chic. Scroll on for 17 It-girl-approved getups that are guaranteed to kick your fall wardrobe into gear.
1. Utility Jacket and Pleated Maxi Dress: Utility jackets are fall’s answer to tried-and-true denim toppers, lending feminine frocks and essential denim a touch of tough-girl ‘tude. For an off-duty look with endless street chic appeal, toss one over a pleated maxi dress, sneakers and a statement cross-body bag. Swap out the sneakers for studded ankle boots if you’re in the market for extra badass edge.
2. Layered-Up Slip Dress: The iconic ‘90s slip dress won’t let a little cool weather stand between you and impeccable throwback style. Add a long-sleeve tee to the mix, along with a set of classic combat-style boots to give the slinky silhouette a bit of ready-for-anything appeal. The only thing missing? A leather biker jacket and dramatic berry lip.
3. Pinstripes and Cropped Jeans: It’s all about balance, and an outfit this well-rounded deserves the sartorial equivalent of the Nobel Prize. Rolled crop flares and a simple graphic tee ground the getup in laid-back territory, while a pinstripe blazer with RN appeal, statement block heel boots and runway-ready earrings read model off duty. Throw in a perfectly applied cat eye and don’t-care hair for total dominance.
4. Floral Bomber and Suede Skirt: Bomber jackets, suede skirts and loafers — it doesn’t get much more trend-right than this. Choose a skirt with an HR-approved hemline, then toss on a set of sleek geometric earrings for a haute look that will effortlessly take you from day to night.
5. Trench and Leather Trousers: Fall is upon us, and that means it’s time to pull out the trusty trench! Classically cool, they’re one of those timeless wardrobe essentials that can instantly turn any lazy-girl ensemble into an Insta-sensation in a snap. Team yours with cropped leather trousers, a graphic sweater and hightop sneakers for a foolproof look that can kick it both at the office and out on the town.
6. Rib Knit Sweater and Denim Maxi Skirt: Denim skirts continue to slay straight through fall, with midi silhouettes reigning supreme. Whether you team it with a billowy floral blouse or a snuggly rib knit sweater and ankle boots (might we suggest an exotic snakeskin print?), the result will be nothing short of stunning. For an afternoon of gallery hopping, add on a suede jacket and structured top handle bag.
7. Sleeveless Jacket and Skinny Jeans: Lazy beach days might be a thing of the past, but the promise of a wardrobe reboot that allows you to rock this fabulous fall ensemble is guaranteed to chase away any inkling of summertime sadness. Consider casual Fridays a showcase for your supreme styling skills from now until forever, and pair a sleeveless blazer with a bow-neck button down and lace-up cheetah print block heels.
8. Knit Color-Block Dress: It’s (almost) officially sweater dress season, so best start stocking up on chic, snuggly options to rock with all those ah-mazing ankle boots taking up residence in your closet. Dress ‘em up with statement belts, intricate collar necklaces and silk scarves for a cozy look that commands attention.
9. Denim Dress and Cropped Trousers: Crisp afternoons and PSLs will feel right at home with this luxe, laid-back combo. Give an easy denim dress the autumnal touch with caramel-colored ankle trousers and sleek suede mules. Round out the outfit with a classic saddlebag and statement shades, or get glitzy with a studded clutch and shimmery drop earrings. Your move.
10. Pinafore Dress and Ruffle Sleeve Blouse: You simply don’t do stuffy — and that’s whether you’re holdin’ it down at the office or hitting up happy hour. A culotte pinafore is just the thing to set your style apart, no matter what the occasion. It’ll look just as flawless with a graphic t-shirt and glove shoes as with a flirty, feminine blouse and pointed-toe ankle boots.
11. Embroidered Jacket and Wool Fedora: Between attending Sunday brunch and hunting for one-of-a-kind finds at your favorite flea market, an embroidered jacket and flatform Oxfords will always do you right. Add in an It-bag, signature shades and a structured felt hat, and you’ve got a getup that’s straight-up #goals.
12. Turtleneck and Wrap Skirt: Here’s a prime example of fall French-girl style at its finest. Neutral hues instantly become more interesting when teamed with contrasting silhouettes and a handful of carefully curated accessories in bright eye-catching prints. DO style with red-hot boots and a suede duster jacket that is bonafide street style bait.
13. Lace Blouse and Mom Jeans: Looking to take lace to the next level? Shed the ladylike vibe with daring designs, nonchalant style essentials and of-the-moment add ons, like strappy heels, bold chokers and a luxe backpack that makes errand running and after-hours shenanigans a total breeze.
14. Shirt Dress and Raw-Edge Denim: Add this breezy ensemble to your list of go-to outfit formulas that will take you straight through fall and winter in style. If you’ve yet to try the dress-over-pants trend, now is definitely the time: Not only will you get mega mileage out of your arsenal of carefree summer clothing, but the doubled-up approach to styling also provides that little extra somethin’ somethin’ to keep you warm and cozy in the face of freezing temps.
15. Bomber Jacket and Flares: Don’t even think about heading into the new season without a bomber jacket in tow. Whether you layer one over a slinky LBD for bar hopping with your BFFs, or play it cool with a suede skirt and lace-up booties, you’re guaranteed a swoon-worthy look every single time.
16. Ruffled Blouse, Distressed Denim and Suspenders: Who would have thought that suspenders could look this good? Shake up your off-the-clock routine by playing the androgynous card with a Victorian-inspired blouse, distressed denim and an architectural satchel that doubles as a backpack. Retro sunnies are highly encouraged, as are menswear-inspired loafers that will put basic ballerina flats to shame.
17. Embroidered Skirt, Lace-Up Boots and Leather Jacket: Granny chic fuses with rock goddess allure for a surprisingly irresistible ensemble that is both cozy and cutting edge. Spice up knit tops and conservative skirts with heeled combat boots and biker jackets, but keep the rest of your accessories on the classic side.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!