Instagram, we love you, but we also sort of hate you. Mostly because we can’t figure out how we spend SO much time scrolling through our feeds to make sure we’ve seen everyone’s photos – most of which turn out to be food and selfies. To help justify all those hours spent on the app, we’ve decided to point out all the secret life lessons sprinkled throughout those photos you’ve been seeing all over. From an empowering piece of body confidence advice to a nostalgic reminder, here’s everything we learned on Instagram this week.
1. Beauty rules are meant to be broken. Modern Family’s Sarah Hyland shared a new hair color on Instagram earlier this week. Even though it’s normal to lighten up for spring, Sarah opted for a dark, almost gothic shade of brown – and damn, it looks good.
2. You are in control of your body. Kim K already broke the Internet once, but she managed to do it yet again earlier this week when she posted this nude selfie on Instagram. Responses varied, but for the most part, people were pretty upset about it. Kim kept quiet for awhile, but then she responded to the controversy with a short essay on her website that was surprisingly eye-opening and really made us rethink how we react to situations like this.
3. Don’t ever let society pressure you to tie the knot. After you and your partner have been together for a few years, you’re probably going to start getting asked the same question over and over: “When are you two getting married?” Maria Menounos just got engaged to her longtime boyfriend after 18 YEARS of dating. But you do you, ya know? No one knows when the time is right except you and your partner.
4. Everything old is new again. The ’90s have been cool for a while now, but this photo Sarah Michelle Gellar shared from the set of the Cruel Intentions reboot was totally confirmation that the decade is maybe even trendier now than it was then.
5. Be creative when documenting those special moments. Life moves fast, and some major events can blow past you before you know it. It’s important to not just document them, but to also be creative when you do it. That way, when you look back, you’ll remember more than just a boring photo. Need an example? Just take a look at MTV star Rob Dyrdek’s adorable baby announcement.
Which photo really caught your attention on Instagram this week? Tag us in the post and tell us why @BritandCo.