Instagram, we love you, but we also sort of hate you. Mostly because we can’t figure out how we spend SO much time scrolling through our feeds to make sure we’ve seen everyone’s photos – most of which turn out to be food and selfies. To help justify all those hours spent on the app, we’ve decided to point out all the secret life lessons sprinkled throughout those photos you’ve been seeing all over. From an empowering adulting tip to a friendly reminder to slow things down, here’s everything we learned on Instagram this week.
1. There is a way to respectfully disagree. Lena Dunham has been making headlines with this photo of a recent editorial shoot she did with Spanish magazine, Tentaciones. In a lengthy Instagram post, Lena calls out the publication for the heavy Photoshopping they performed on her body. She writes, “It’s a weird feeling to see a photo and not know if it’s your own body anymore (and I’m pretty sure that will never be my thigh width but I honestly can’t tell what’s been slimmed and what hasn’t).” However, throughout her short essay, she manages to voice her opinion without totally bashing the magazine. If you’re currently feeling frustrated about something (be it personal or professional), Lena’s post could serve as great inspo on how to voice you opinion in a very adult way.
2. It’s never too early to celebrate spring. Okay so yes, spring doesn’t officially start until March 20th. But hey, if the flowers are blooming, what’s stopping you from trading those knitted beanies for a wide-brimmed hat?
3. Never take the little moments for granted. Olivia Wilde recently posted this adorable photo of her husband, Jason Sudeikis, and their son, Otis. She captioned the photo, “snapping lessons.” This sweet pic is a great reminder that those little moments can sometimes mean more than you would ever expect.
4. Never take yourself too seriously. In case you missed it, Justin Beiber’s 22nd birthday was on Tuesday. Beiber took to Instagram to share some of his birthday activities, but also personally shared this hilarious meme that had been going around the Internet.
5. Gender norms are so last year. On Leap Day, it’s traditional for women to propose to their partners. Under the hashtag #sheasked, a whole bunch of ladies showed off the creative ways they popped the question. David’s Bridal and Brides UK even teamed up to help 11 women pull off the perfect surprise proposal (watch that vid here). All the videos and photos we saw on the 29th have left us wondering why this doesn’t happen more often?!
Which photo really caught your attention on Instagram this week? Tag us in the post and tell us why @BritandCo.