As a throwback and tribute to childhoods everywhere, we’re celebrating Kool-Aid’s 89th birthday. Puts our 30th tropical-themed birthday to shame, doesn’t it? But we’re not preparing just any regular old birthday cake for this occasion. Instead, we’re donning our aprons and preparing for a heck of a #throwback party with summer pies (as in no-bake), meringue cookies and even a Kool-Aid cocktail. Whether you gave up the sweet drink ages ago or still have some in your pantry, here are 11 ways to bring out your inner kid and sneak Kool-Aid into everyday sweets and treats.
2. Candy Dots With Kool-Aid: These little dots are fun to make and fun to eat. Making these can turn into a creative project at home with little ones that might not yet know all the glory that is Kool-Aid. (via This Grandma Is Fun)
3. Kool-Aid Milkshakes Recipe: Hold the phone! A milkshake made with Kool-Aid? Life is officially complete. All you need is the perfect French fry to dip in it for the best sweet and salty combo *ever.* (via Homemaking Hacks)
4. Kool-Aid Cocktails, AKA Crunk Juice: On a hot summer day, a cold glass of spiked Kool-Aid hits the spot. Add some grilled cheese roll ups and it’ll be the ultimate childhood throwback. (via Backyard Bartender)
5. Rainbow Ice Cubes: We think adding these Kool-Aid flavored (and colored) ice cubes to pretty much any summer cocktail would make the world a better place. If you have a kid’s party coming up, try them in sparkling water for an extra special treat. (via She Is Woven)
6. Kool-Aid Marshmallows: Marshmallows are fabulous because after you make them, you can put them on other tasty desserts. Enjoy these Kool-Aid-flavored ones on s’mores or mix them in with Rice Krispies. (via Dinners, Dishes & Desserts)
7. Drinks: Watermelon Kool-Aid Slushies: Just picture it: It’s a hot summer day and you reach for something cold to drink. The glass is frosted and the straw is adorable. As you take a sip, you realize it’s no regular slushy — it’s a watermelon Kool-Aid slushy! (via A Pumpkin & a Princess)
8. Kool-Aid Truffles: Whoever blessed this world with truffles, we are forever in their debt. These little guys are stuffed with Kool-Aid-flavored cream cheese. Take a minute to digest that. (via Easy Baked)
9. Kool-Aid Meringues: Meringue is one of those things that can only get better when you make it with Kool-Aid and turn it into a cookie. The best part of this dessert is that they’re party-ready and easy to carry. (via Smart School House)
10. Jell-O Kool-Aid Popsicles: Not only is Kool-Aid a childhood favorite, but so are popsicles. Combine the two to blow your mind, then invite your besties over for a summertime treat. (via A Pretty Life in the Suburbs)
11. Kool-Aid Popcorn: Forgo the usual salt on your popcorn and instead cover it in colored sugar (Kool-Aid, obvi). You’ll be super satisfied… and we promise not to tell your dentist. (via Mandy’s Recipe Box Blog)
Love these sweet treats? Follow us on Pinterest for more delicious dessert ideas.