Even though the temperatures might only dip to “slightly chilly” in Laguna Beach during this time of year, Cali girl Lauren Conrad still gets into a winter mindset when she’s putting together her outfits. According to a recent post on WhoWhatWear, where the lifestyle guru revealed her SoCal winter wardrobe essentials, LC admitted to falling into a seasonal style rut that those of us stuck in the polar vortex are all too familiar with: dimming your look with grays, blacks and neutrals. Sure, the deep color palette is chic, but maxing it out right now is a move that’s so predictable. Lauren relies on a tried-and-true styling trick to make that winter uniform more unique: She adds a pop of color.
Lauren’s simple tip may seem like a no brainer, but think about it: how easy is it to reach for your pair of brown ankle boots, white sneakers or black lace-ups when you’re already donning dark hues? Too easy is the answer. All in all, it’s actually a pretty great reminder of just how effortless it can be to inject a bit of flair into your outfits, no matter what time of year. Scroll through to see Lauren’s (very cute, very affordable) pop-of-color pick, plus six more ways to add a hint of hue to your winter wardrobe.
1. Madewell’s the Mira Heel ($135): Lauren swooned over these heels — according to her, the saviors of any neutral outfit — and it’s easy to see why. From the peppy coral color to the sleek pointed toe, these stilettos will get you noticed.
2. Btwn Wind & Water Suede + Leather Envelope Clutch ($130): This clutch’s combination of rich tan suede with an eye-popping magenta would give a major jolt to your winter neutrals.
3. Urban Outfitters Cool Color Round Sunglasses ($18): Sometimes a pop of color doesn’t have to be so drastic. We’re envisioning these sky blue sunnies perking up any all-navy outfit, from a midnight pantsuit to dark-wash denim everything.
4. Habit Nail Polish in Tabu ($18): The easiest way to dress up snuggly basics? Bright. Red. Polish. The orange-y tones will surely stay in your mani rotation through spring.
5. Cuppacolor Color Pop Wooden Necklace ($24): You won’t believe the looks you get when you switch out your delicate metal necklace for one that’s popping with cheery greens (and polka dots!).
6. Hansel From Basel Puff CB Anklet ($17): There’s nothing we love more than seeing a bold color peeking from under a sharp-dressed man’s suit. Take a cue from the dude in your life and add a high-pigmented pair into your weekly rotation.
7. SketchInc Fox Brooch ($16): Take the pop of color somewhere totally unexpected with a too-cute pin that adds a delightfully quirky vibe to even an all-black outfit.
What’s your favorite way to add a pop of color to your outfit? Tell us in the comments below.