The weather is warming, but let’s be real: We’re never really quite out of the woods when it comes to cold and flu “season.” Rather than hitting the hard stuff (we’re looking at you, NyQuil), try a collection of loose leaf teas the next time illness strikes. Loose teas are da bomb because they pack a plethora of flavors and tastes. Plus, they give you the opportunity to make your own teabags, pick up some cute infusers and plan a tea party. Save us a seat. Here are the top 12 leaves to look to the next time you’re feeling less than top notch.
1. Ginger Sage Winter Spa Blend ($9): Containing ginger, lemon and goji berries, this tea will heal you while looking oh-so pretty in your cup. Ginger’s warming qualities have made it a go-to in Chinese medicine as a digestion doctor, while goji berries claim to keep you alive forever… well, not really forever, but they do claim to benefit longevity.
2. Cold + Flu Brew ($14): Feeling less than 100%? Look to this organic loose leaf herbal tea blend featuring elderberry and chamomile. Chamomile helps you relax, tame your tummy and get much needed sleep. The dark purple elderberries are chock full of antioxidants and immune system-boosting vitamin C.
3. Secret Weapon ($11): This delicious tea contains almonds, orange peel and cornflowers. It might look as pretty as a meadow but the zinc-and-vitamin-C rich goji berries keep your immune system hanging tough. And don’t you go thinking the cornflowers are just another pretty face in the crowd. They actually help with fever and chest congestion.
4. Licorice Root ($11): Licorice root is a key ingredient in many of our favorite candies, but did you know it contains healing qualities? Licorice root helps to soothe sore throats making this tea a great alternative to traditional honey and lemon.
5. Tolife White Tea ($13): White tea has less processing than other teas allowing it to retain the most antioxidants per cup. Adding strawberry, rhubarb and rooibos to the mix adds even more antioxidants. Rooibos eases tension and headaches keeping your head clear while your body recovers.
6. Aloe Serenity ($17): A pretty green tea blend that helps to ease digestion with aloe. The precious rose petals add much needed vitamin C as well as a gorgeous scent.
7. DIY Immune System Support Herbal Tea: Are you a collector of herbs? This tea includes alfalfa leaf, elderberries, echinacea, rose hips and a few more common herbs. Alfalfa leaf helps to detoxify while the rest of the herbs fill you up with antioxidants. If you’re interested in making your own loose tea, try this recipe. (via Frugally Sustainable)
8. Cold Buster With Tulsi ($15): Thanks to lemon and orange peel, this tea contains loads of vitamin C. The addition of Tulsi, also known as Holy Basil, helps to reduce inflammation and fever.
9. Bravissimo ($7): This tea is inspired by opera singers. If anyone knows how to ease a sore throat, it would be them. Once the licorice root, chamomile and peppermint calms and soothes your sore throat, you’ll be ready for your encore.
10. Spirulina Stamina ($16): Rich in iron, vitamin C and protein, this green yerba maté tea will help you recover from illness and get you back on your feet. Spirulina is a type of algae that is getting a lot of attention as a superfood that contains high amounts of protein.
11. Gyokuro Imperial Green Tea ($20): An antioxidant rich tea that is a tea-rrific immune system booster. Green tea is touted for its many health benefits, including lowering blood pressure and weight loss.
12. Holy Basil Tea Blend ($9): This calming and comforting tea is full of spearmint and peppermint — two herbs that are tasty and relaxing. Also included in this blend is fennel. Fennel contains vitamin C, fiber and potassium aka ingredients key to helping your body get back to normal. With all these healing properties, this tea is the perfect choice when you really need to recharge.
Are you a loose tea drinker? What are some of your favorite blends?