We know everyone loves a good topknot: It’s quick, easy and makes your fourth day hair look damn good. But let’s face it: You don’t always want to look like a ballerina, and after 12 hours of a high bun, your scalp is just dying for a bit of relief. So why not switch things up a little and try out the topknot’s more elegant and grown-up cousin, the low bun. We promise, it can be just as easy and still keeps the hair off your neck. From an undone, messy bun to an elaborate, red carpet-worthy look, here are 20 ways to rock that low bun.
2. Freida Pinto’s Bejeweled Bun: We never thought we would be happy to see the return of this ‘90s hair trend, but Freida Pinto manages to make butterfly hair clips look super modern and beautiful. We’re in love! (via StyleList)
6. Twisted Sister: This elaborate twisted hairdo looks complicated but is actually completely doable. And while it might look loose, it’s actually secure enough to withstand a night of your sweet dance moves. (via The Beauty Department)
8. Nikki Reed’s Sleek and Chic Chignon: We love the old Hollywood elegance of this look, but what makes it even more special is the way her subtle ombre locks give the bun a whole new dimension. (via Teen Vogue)
9. The Messiest of Buns: How lucky are we that low buns can look amazing even when they’re totally messy? And don’t worry if your locks look different from the tutorial, that’s the whole point! (via The Small Things)
10. Fishtail Updo: The fishtail braid is an absolute favorite among celebrities, bloggers and everyday girls on the street. Combine a fishtail braid with a low bun for an extra-pretty look. (via Brit + Co)
11. Olsen Twin Bun: If you’re a fan of the Olsen twins‘ personal style, here’s your chance to recreate one of their looks. Take inspiration from Mary-Kate’s CFDA awards ceremony bun by tying a velvet ribbon into your hair. (via Harper’s Bazaar)
13. Waterfall, Dutch, French Braid into Braided Bun: Go a little over the top by combining not one… not two… but three braids into a bun. This is a wedding-worthy look if we ever did see one! (via Missy Sue)
20. How to Style a Low Bun: We love how this bun is messy and elegant all at the same time. Pull out a few wispy layers to keep it looking casual, but still chic enough to take you from day to night. (via A Beautiful Mess)
Are you a topknot or a low bun kind of girl? Which of these ‘dos will you be trying out soon? Let us know below!