There are a few things we def know are going to happen on Independence Day: There will be flags, firework pet costumes, plenty of Hamilton references and lots of RWB all over, including your beauty look. So while you’re deciding on a cherry red lipstick and Fourth of July mani, we’ve got a more subtle way to give your routine a dose of patriotism — indulging in made-in-the-USA beauty products. From the shores of Maui to the streets of Brooklyn (and almost everywhere in between), beauty entrepreneurs are whipping up formulas that can make your entire routine all-American. We scouted nine brands with lots of treats for your face, body and hair. Give them a try to celebrate America this Fourth and all season long!
1. S.W. Basics of Brooklyn: This company takes the less-is-more mantra seriously; all of their skin and body products are made with five ingredients or less. Their line, with a toner, scrub, makeup remover, cream, oils and lip balms, also preserves the integrity of the ingredients, keeping them as close to their whole raw state as possible, and buys exclusively from certified organic, fair trade or small-farm sources. We love that their Cream ($32) only has three rich ingredients: coconut oil, shea butter and olive oil.
2. Farmaesthetics: This skincare line takes the farm-to-table trend to a whole new level. Founder Brenda Brock experimented in her kitchen with traditional American herbal recipes that she learned growing up on a farm in Texas. The result is pure lotions, cleansers and treatments, like this Hand to Heel Softening Salve ($30), which use only organically grown herbs, flowers, oils and grains, all culled from small family farms around the US.
3. Sun Bum: You may fall hard just for the rad packaging and ape motif, but know that these products offer serious protection from the sun. Created by surfers in Cocoa Beach, Florida who wanted a high-quality, water-resistant sunscreen for people who live and love in the sun, these lotions, creams and sprays are totes the real deal (they get a stamp of approval from the Skin Cancer Foundation). They’ve also got hair products, like this Beach Formula 3 in 1 Leave In ($15), spiked with nourishing coconut oil and banana leaf.
4. Priti NYC: These cruelty-free, gluten-free, vegan polishes were created by an NYC mom-to-be who was looking for a clean, no-chemical polish she could wear while pregnant. The chic Nail Polish ($15) collection now boasts over 80 shades, and they also do designer collabs with the likes of Tory Burch, The Row, Coach and Tommy Hilfiger during fashion week.
5. Queen Bee Productions Maui: So did you hear the one about a beekeeper and an herbalist in Hawaii? The two get together and cook up face and body treats that incorporate raw Maui honey, beeswax and other all-natural ingredients for gorgeous skin. Each handmade product is eco-friendly and smells heavenly (this Cocoa Body Butter [$14] counts organic vanilla bean as one of the ingredients), and almost all the products are edible too — end of story.
6. Mad Hippie Advanced Skin Care: This Portland, Oregon company was founded on the principle that anti-aging skincare should be safe and effective. To that end, the green serums, moisturizers and oils boast extracts from fruits and veggies (even broccoli!) that soothe and strengthen skin, along with pure actives such as peptides and alpha-hydroxy acids that fight wrinkles and lines. This Cream Cleanser ($16) pumps skin with antioxidants from green tea.
7. Malin + Goetz: Made entirely in the New York area, Malin + Goetz started with face treatments for highly sensitive types (one of the founders has rosacea and eczema). Skin care is still their best seller, but now they offer up other beautiful treats, including fragrances, soaps and candles in yummy spiked scents like limey Mojito and spicy Dark Rum. This citrusy Bergamot EDT ($150) is their newest scent.
8. Beekman 1802: What happens when two city guys buy a goat farm in upstate New York? They create a lifestyle brand with goat milk-centric products produced by artisans, local farmers and craft persons. Though beauty is just one part of what they do — you may have seen Beekman 1802 food and plant products at Target — their soaps, haircare and scrubs, like this Honeyed Grapefruit Sugar Scrub ($39), all incorporate milk from the farm, giving them that just-made-fresh feeling.
9. Coola: Named one of San Diego’s coolest companies, this posh suncare line is a treat to use. The scents are party-ready (Piña Colada sunscreen spray, anyone?) and incorporate the freshest and most natural ingredients whenever possible (most are 70% certified organic), spoiling your skin with vitamins and minerals. Beyond the usual sunscreen lotions and sprays, they’ve also got makeup, including this Mineral Lip Lux SPF 30 Summer Crush ($18), which softens lips and looks gorgeous to boot.
Want more beauty inspo? Follow us on Pinterest for the latest tips + products.