The matte trend is nothing new. So why talk about it? Because it’s not going ANYWHERE and it’s time to get on board. From shadow palettes (notably the new Urban Decay Matte Naked Palette) and polishes to lippies (think ColourPop and Tarte), there are plenty of products to help you create matte makeup looks. But having the right products is only half the battle. You still need to know how to use ‘em. So to inspire you to make the most of your opaque formulas, here are 24 trendy looks to help you mattify your eyes, lips and mani.
1. Raspberry: Why not make a matte raspberry lip and a subdued smokey eye your signature look for the winter? A soft bun looks polished for daytime. At night, up the sultry factor with loose waves.
2. Smoke Show: We’re addicted to these Fifty Shades of Grey-inspired strands. A soft, matte smokey eye, perfectly coiffed brows and glossy nude lips keep it youthful! Recreate these smokin’ peepers with the Smashbox Cover Shot Eye Palette in Matte ($29).
3. Double Dose of Color: We can’t tell what we’re coveting more — the daring, matte fuchsia lip or dreamy blue lids. Either way, this ultra-pigmented look has stolen our heart with its vibrant hues.
4. Wing It: Iridescent eyelids and matte black lips. Yay or nay? Equal parts bad-ass and ethereal, it’s a “hell yeah” in our book.
5. Emerald: Jewel-toned eyes, nude matte lips and tousled tresses FTW. A glittering gold top gives you that #midastouch.
6. Berry Lust: You can’t deny that these raven hues wow for winter. The best part? Stealing this look is a bargain. NYC Cosmetics Suede Matte Lip Liner in Put It On ($4) and Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Put It On ($7) are a budget-friendly (and fabulous) duo.
7. Seeing Double: Blush and berry polishes are lovely on their own, even better together and the best when finished with rose gold! We’re totally digging the abstract accents. But when you do it yourself, feel free to make it your own, with polka dots, stripes or whatever suits your fancy.
8. Matte Maven: We’re huge fans of Tarte for the brand’s ability to — what we previously thought was impossible — make super pigmented hues that are actually natural! This ombre pout is a combo of Tarteist Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint ($20) in Friyay and XOXO.
9. Bold Red Lip: Every girl should have a great red lipstick (or two or three) in her beauty arsenal. A matte red lip and shimmering shadow are sultry go-tos for formal occasions and date night with your boo.
10. Dusty Rose Pout: A full face of matte formulas can often make you look like you’re wearing stage makeup. A rosy matte lip looks lovely when paired with monochromatic shimmer shadows and a generous dusting of highlighter.
11. Lip Service: Go ahead, travel to the dark side with a vampy purple pout, courtesy of e.l.f Velvet Matte Lipstick in Vampy Violet ($3). Soft pink shadow, winged liner and Lilly Lashes Miami Lashes ($30) complete this Insta-worthy look.
12. Matte Pout + Pony: A sultry matte lip (a combo of two aptly named Lipland hues: Provocateur and Femme Fatale) and burgundy smokey eye ooze sex appeal. A sporty pony is beyond unexpected, and yet it works so well we can’t even imagine how else you’d style your hair.
13. Bold Blue & Purple: Who would rock this eye look? We’re guessing bold babes everywhere! Keep lips natural and let your gorgeous peepers get all the attention.
14. Multi Color: Ice blue and gray + petal and raspberry + sand and emerald = color blocking at it’s best! A matte top coat ties it all together.
15. Triple Matte: Mauve is having a moment! This pale purple is making a name for itself as a pseudo-neutral. While it can be hard to pull off matte eyes, skin and lips without looking, well, slightly lifeless, this trio of subdue hues totally works.
16. Jet Black: This edgy yet glam duo of matte black and glimmering gold demands attention. Rock with leather pants and major ring bling and you’re ready for a night out on the town.
17. Trifecta: While not super wearable on the reg, this lip look is too freakin’ cool not to include. Channel your inner artist with Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipsticks ($24) in Thrill Seeker, Some Nerve and Chill Zone. You’ll also need your handy straight edge (it may sound strange, but this pucker is all about precision).
18. Eyes Ablaze: These maroon eyes are MAJOR! Need DIY? Check out this handy YouTube tutorial, using Smashbox Ablaze Cover Shot Palette ($29). If you haven’t guessed by now, this palette is a cult-favorite among beauty-savvy Insta babes.
19. Wicked: Dreaming of an oh-so smoochable, richly pigmented pout? We recommend Lime Crime Matte Velvetine in Wicked ($20). You might recognize it as the color that broke the internet when it launched. And yes, it’s that good!
20. Nearly Naked: We’re fawning over these nude digits! Start with OPI Nail Lacquer in Pale to the Chief ($10). Use BornPretty Plate 21814 ($3) with your fave black polish. Swipe OPI Matte Top Coat ($10) on all your nails. And embellish your ring fingers with rose gold and black Swarovski crystals.
21. Plum Gig: Natural curls, plum lips and flawless skin? Yes please! Team with simple studs and a sleek black turtleneck for a ‘70s-inspired look that slays in 2017.
22. Opaque Peepers: A smokey eye is a weekend staple. Next time you’re hitting the town, ditch your shimmery shadows for matte formulas. We guarantee all eyes will be on you.
23. Half Moon: This electric, angular moon mani is out of this world! The matte finish make it feel super modern.
24. Sweet As Candy: Is this more of a summer color? Probably. Do we care? Not in the slightest. This bubblegum hue is so delicious, we’d book a trip somewhere warm just to wear it RN.
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.