Whether you’re trying to grow out your locks or just recently cut them, you’ve probably experienced that awkward phase that everybody dreads. It’s at the length where you really can’t throw your strands into a coil topknot, but they’ve grown out of your short style just enough to hang lifeless. We know — we’ve been there. So what’s a girl to do when you feel like you’re experiencing a hair-mageddon? Well thankfully, you came to the right spot. We’ve gathered 12 ways you can style your awkward medium-length hair. From stylish updos to braided hairstyles, these looks are going to enhance your just-below-the-shoulder hair in no time.
1. Scarf: Instead of just covering your fourth-day hair underneath a baseball cap, it’s time to embrace your locks by wrapping them with a chic scarf. Pull out a few strands for a woke-up-like-this style that looks perfectly messy in all the right ways.
2. Middle Part: Update your naturally straight strands with a girl-next-door middle part. Spritz a bit of beach spray all over to add some texture to your overall look.
3. Holiday Hair Tutorial: While this hair tutorial was designed for the holidays, we say rock this look all day, err’day. With a pop of red on the lips and an all black dress, you’ll be the belle of the ball any day of the week. (Photo via annesage)
5. Gold-Dipped Festival Braids: Forget the bobby pins — it’s time to update your braids with gold flakes. Add a few around the base of your braids for an artsy take on a messy-chic ‘do. (Photo via Modcloth)
6. 2nd-Day Hair: Whether you’re heading out with your boo or going to brunch with the girls, this look is perf no matter the type of occasion. Finish the look with a spritz of hairspray to keep your tresses on lock for an all-night affair. (Photo via Modcloth)
7. Mermaid Tail Braid: If you can’t do the typical fishtail braid, then this mermaid tail braid is perfect for you. All you have to do is create two regular braids and pin them together for one giant style. Easy peasy. (Photo via A Cup of Jo)
8. The Hidden Braid: If you want a surprising and edgy ‘do, then this teased braided pony needs to be on your radar ASAP. French braid an inch worth of hair down the back of your head and combine it with the rest of your strands for an effortless pony. (Photo via Hair Romance)
9. Braided Crown: This hairdo is meant for second-day hair. Separate your strands into four different sections to create several braids. Wrap them around your head to complete a seamless braided look. (Photo via Treasures and Travels)
11. The Modern Half Up-Do: You don’t need to get frustrated with your medium-length hair when it can look this chic. Complete this swoon-worthy half-up ‘do with a single hair clip to keep your strands lookin’ stylish and in place. (Photo via Style Me Pretty)
Want more hair inspiration? Follow us on Pinterest!