As the weather heats up, one thing is abundantly clear: It’s almost time to hit the beach! While we spend the next few weeks hunting for the perfect swim attire and maybe finally start hitting the gym (remember those NYE resolutions?), let’s also turn our makeover efforts toward achieving that Insta-worthy summer hair, inspired by none other than our favorite nautical goddesses. From boho braids to ocean-inspired hair colors that hit the rainbow hair trend on the head, we’ve got the mermaid hairstyles that’ll give you that sought-after ethereal charm. Scroll through these 11 Ariel-approved hairdos and find the perfect look for an enchanting summer.
1. Aqua Ombre: Daring enough to dye your locks this summer? Give the typical mermaid color a refreshing ombre twist with a deep aqua tone fading into a light, minty shade.
2. FP Beachy Keen Hair Rings ($22): This girl is giving us serious Daryl-Hannah-circa-Splash vibes. Adorn your locks with seashell rings for a maritime take on your go-to boho style.
3. Fishtail Braids: We’d be remiss not to include some classic fishtail braids. Channel a more elegant look by starting your braid with a topsy tail, or bring on the whimsical charm with chunky braided pigtails. You simply can’t go wrong with this flawless, messy style.
4. Gray + Blue: On the hunt for new ways to transition your silvery style? Keep things cool by adding a splash of aqua to your on-trend granny hair for a dose of summer whimsy.
5. Boho Braid: Who said princess hairstyles and boho chic couldn’t be one in the same? Add low, loose fishtail braids to your beachy ‘do for a soft and sweet fairytale look.
6. Multi-Braid Ponytail: While lying out in the sun is what many would describe as the *perf* beach day, what about the sporty gals among us? Rock a multi-fishtail ponytail for a ‘do that’s ideal for sunbathing and beach volleyball shenanigans alike.
7. Deep Blue: Strut your stuff on the beach rocking a color as blue as the ocean. This stunning hue will make you the #hairenvy of every gal on the beach.
8. Relaxed Braid: Give your mermaid tresses a poised and polished appeal. This relaxed style is perfect for reading by the water or attending your BFF’s beachside nuptials.
9. Free People Cowrie Shell Headband ($34): The daughters of Triton got nothing on you. Hit the shore looking positively royal with a seashell crown fit for a queen (of the sea).
10. Off-Duty Model Braid: Forget the messy fishtail braid — you’re all about that sleek aesthetic. Give your fishtail hairstyle a modern edge by pairing the look with a trendy high pony. (via Brit + Co)
11. Dutch Fishtail: Now THIS is a mermaid ‘do! Create a voluminous, pulled-apart fishtail braid for a look that actually resembles a sea maiden’s tail.
What summer hairstyles will you be rocking this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.