If you follow decor trends at all, it’s likely you’re familiar with mid-century modern. Comprised of clean and simple designs that play with vibrant colors and patterns, the style works when decorating any room, whether with found pieces or DIY projects. And while it might be hard at first to picture Don Draper in a nursery, trust us — classy mid-century modern nurseries can do no wrong. It’s a distinctive look that’s easy to emulate too. If you aren’t sure where to start, scroll on for all the inspiration you need.
1. Vivid Print: An exciting pattern like this Turkish rug is all you need to balance out the clean white walls of your nursery. Though this particular option isn’t available anymore, keep an eye out for a floor covering that brings out the warmth of your mid-century wooden dresser and rattan ottoman. (via Tessa Neustadt / My Domaine)
2. Bright Yellow: Let your nursery reflect your little ray of sunshine with pops of color. The thick stripes of this vivid rug echo the wide slats of the modular crib. (via HGTV)
3. Modular, Colored Storage: Don’t settle for a bland-looking storage unit. Paint each drawer front a different shade for a colorful contemporary makeover. (via 100 Layer Cakelet)
4. Animals Photo Gallery: Add visual interest to your kiddo’s room with a photo wall gallery. For a clean and cohesive look, neatly align your frames side by side. (via The Animal Print Shop)
5. Fybur Panoramic Print ($30+): If you like nature and geometric art, this panoramic print is for you. The artwork’s bold colors speak to traditional mid-century art, which is just what you need to bring out your nursery’s retro vibes.
6. Pops of Blue: Inject color into a nursery of mostly white and brown furnishings with an unexpected shade like blue. For an effortless, eclectic feel, include a variety of blue accents, like a navy throw, a bright blue rug and a turquoise side table. (via Carolina Rodriguez / Style Me Pretty)
7. Savvy and Sophisticated: This nursery could pass for any other room in your ultra chic home. If savvy and sophisticated is your kind of style, go with a mid-century modern dresser accented with classy wall art. (via Amber Fouts / Style Me Pretty)
9. Peachy-Keen: Sleek and modern furnishings like this crib and Eames chair glide perfectly into any nursery theme. The clean lines provide a neutral base for safari-chic vibes. (via Lauren Conrad)
10. Gender-Neutral: It may sound obvious, but it’s easiest to go with neutral colors for a gender-neutral nursery. The classic look of your baby’s space will also make it easier for it to grow with them. (via Inside Out)
11. Gray and Blue: There’s nothing childish about this beautifully designed modern nursery. To create the style, stick to deeper, more mature shades like navy, burgundy and gray. Mid-century touches like a wingback chair and bubble chandelier add to the elegance. (via AVE Styles)
12. Chevron Changing Table: Paint a contemporary dresser with a bold pattern like chevron to create a custom piece. Once potty training has begun, you can remove the changing pad for a striking bureau that sits easily alongside your Eames rocker. (via Design Sponge)
13. Light and Airy: Create a clean, modern aesthetic with white walls and light wood furnishings, then build on that with personal style. You can add coziness with touches like a colorful rug and vintage rocking chair. (via 100 Layer Cakelet)
14. Into the Wilderness: Raising a child is a real-life adventure. Channel the excitement of embarking on a journey into the unknown with a wilderness-inspired nursery complete with vintage and rustic pieces. (via Decor 8)
15. Eve Sand Day and Night Prints ($36+, set of two): Simple, classic and in line with the mid-century geometric aesthetic, this set of prints is perfect to include in your wee one’s nursery. It might even be a cheeky comment on how much time you spend in the nursery.
16. Cozy Vintage: The woven wall hanging and rug give this space a cozy, comforting style. Go even further with sentimental pieces like kids’ books from your own childhood for a vintage feel as authentic as a classic Eames rocker. (via Project Nursery)
17. New and Old: You don’t necessarily need a vision to pull off a stylish nursery. This space proves you can *totally* build a room around vintage items you already own, like an Eames rocker or a vintage lamp. Just balance them out with modern pieces like a simple white bookshelf. (via Tiny Warbler)
18. Mix of Patterns and Colors: Mid-century modern art was all about bold shapes and colors, so play up the trend with striking patterned walls and ceiling. One thing’s for sure — your kiddo won’t ever get bored with this mix of patterns and colors. Complete the fun and funky look with a classic Sputnik chandelier. (via HGTV)
19. CocoAndJames Rabbit Prints ($15+): This adorable set of bunny prints will surely make your baby’s nursery the cutest room ever. If you’re looking for another animal, just take your pick from 23 available options. Add in an Eames chair and bold patterned rug to complete the modern vibe.
20. Jungle: Predicting you’ll have a little jet-setter on your hands? Decorate fittingly with travel-inspired pieces like a globe, map and animal figurines. Finish off the look with stylish mid-century modern elements like a Sputnik chandelier, vintage crib and wood-colored pouf. (via Project Nursery)
Are you feeling the mid-century look? Follow us on Pinterest for more design inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.