Going hand-in-hand with ’90s grunge, all things military are currently having a moment. Yup, you heard right: You officially have an excuse to reach for your prized fall camo prints for a look that reads modern-day GI Jane. (And you best believe studded combat boots are in order for all you contemporary boss babes with an edgy streak.) Armed with certain wardrobe workhorses — think an army green shacket, tough-girl booties and tailored military-inspired outerwear — it won’t be long before you’re ditching your goody-two-shoes image (‘bout time!) for an alternative look that’s downright fierce. Be it day or night, the boardroom or after-hours, we’ve got you covered with 19 military-inspired statement pieces that will work their magic around the clock. *Adds everything to shopping cart for a DGAF ‘tude*
1. Zara Military Style Patch Hat ($13): Fake it ‘til you make it with this military patch beanie that gives off a don’t-mess-around vibe. Just add some mirrored aviators and a black puffer jacket for a look that’s straight-up gangsta.
2. Glamorous Pom Military Shirt ($142): This is not your everyday military shirt, people! Turn a mundane Monday upside down with this relatively unassuming khaki button-down that’s been jazzed up with playful tassels and medallions. When you’re not wearing it tucked into black culottes for the boardroom, toss it on over a lightweight cashmere sweater and jeans (don’t forget some desert boots!) for a pared down, weekend-ready #OOTD.
3. Zara Velvet Toggle Jacket ($149): Who knew military could look this chic? Not us, but then again, we shouldn’t be surprised. Take the “more is more” approach with this velvet toggle jacket that *will* be spotted a mile away. The fancy gold decorative accents will make you feel dressed to the nines at a fall fête — just toss this hero piece on over a drop-waist dress and slip into some edgy Miu Miu-inspired ballerinas for instant style cred.
4. Topshop Twist Front Crop Top ($30): Don’t back down now: Embrace the military trend on an upcoming GNO with this midriff-baring twist-front crop top that’s ready to tear up the dance floor. Team it with ripped black jeans, oversized hoop earrings and a mini leather backpack for a downtown aesthetic.
5. Zara Flat Military Ankle Boots ($70): Proceed to channel a straight-outta-boot-camp vibe with these flat military ankle boots that mean serious business. Maybe steer clear of the boardroom — unless you want to be on HR’s hit list, that is — but DO wear them to the pumpkin patch, a rock concert or when walking your pooch around the block (‘cause why not?). Hint, hint: They’ll look fly with a lumberjack flannel button-down and thick marled socks.
6. Urban Outfitters Vintage Military Surplus Jogger Pant ($54): Werk it in these vintage-inspired surplus joggers that are this close to becoming your new stay-at-home staple of choice. (The pocket compartments are our fave part.) Running errands across town? Don’t hesitate to slip these wardrobe workhorses on with a stylish pullover, a camo print baseball cap and Chelsea boots.
7. Zara Military Detail T-Shirt ($20): Found it. We heard you were on the hunt for an anything-but-basic tee with next-level military details. Team this embellished top with a newsboy cap and high-waisted cropped flares for a casual-cool vibe that’s so RN.
8. Pull&Bear Military Coat With Badge Detail ($90): Call up your neighborhood girl gang: You’re ready for a night of debauchery. Usher in an air of mystery with this gray military wool coat (just check out those badges) that will make you feel like the top lieutenant in charge. Juxtapose a swishy metallic pleat skirt with some old-school Chuck Taylors for a getup that breaks all the rules.
9. Elodie Patched Woven Shirt ($49): Here, quirky patches lend a festive update to an otherwise predictable woven shirt. Between the rocket-ship emoji patch and army stars, this popover is jam-packed with personality. Pro Tip: Roll up your sleeves and order a size up for an effortless fit that has lazy Sunday written all over it.
10. Zara Military Mini Skirt ($70): Upcoming date night with bae? Take it there with this versatile wool mini, complete with two rows of military-inspired buttons on the front, that calls for a neck-tie blouse or sultry bodysuit. Tough-girl ankle boots (what else?!) and a bold red lip will deliver up just the right amount of confidence.
11. Urban Outfitters Vintage Mesh Surplus Crop Tee ($24): Next to your go-to metallic bomber and Yeezys, this mesh crop top is practically a no-brainer — especially for a true rebel without a cause like yourself. You know the drill: Layer it over a lace bralet and toss on some silk joggers or tie-waist pants for no shortage of RiRi-esque swagger.
12. Jeffrey Campbell Parche Khaki Arms Combo ($180): For a more literal take on the military trend, opt for a pair of these comfortable and functional slip-on sneaks with wear-everywhere appeal. Potentially WTF-worthy, yes, but they’re actually starting to grow on us. One thing’s for sure: The embroidered stars and army-inspired patches will serve as an instant conversation starter, no matter where you rock ’em.
13. J.Crew Cotton Shirt ($90): Not so fast, preppy enthusiasts! You, too, can snag a military-inspired look this fall. In lieu of your crisp white button-downs, make an effort to go utilitarian with this army green cotton shirt that’s just as laid-back-chic as it looks. If you feel so inclined, pop it over a striped tee — and throw some statement-making chandelier earrings into the mix — for a little extra pizzazz. Jenna Lyons would be so proud.
14. Missguided Lightweight Military Trench Coat ($94): More streamlined than grunge, this cream-colored trench is what you wear when you want to look super put together in zero seconds flat. Not only are the gold buttons glam AF, but the mid-calf length is a shoo-in for a slew of after-hours affairs. Pair with leather pants, a chambray shirt and suede sneakers for an off-duty look with military undertones.
15. Topshop Horoscope Three Buckle Boots ($140): These bad boys were made for walking — and channeling a military-chic look this season. When stiletto ankle booties feel too predictable and combat boots make you feel like you’re trying too hard, opt for these mid-heel stompers featuring trend-right buckles. Team ‘em with anything from boyfriend jeans to an off-the-clock utility shirt dress for instant street MVP status.
16. Topshop Camo Hooded Shacket ($92): Introducing the camouflage shacket-meets-hoodie in disguise you quite possibly will never want to take off. Pssst: We don’t blame you one bit. You’ll gravitate toward the borrowed-from-the-boys fit on mornings you’d rather just stay in bed and seek solace in the super soft jersey material once cold weather hits.
17. French Connection Military Floral Print Pants ($98): So maybe cargo pants and traditional camo prints aren’t your jam, and that’s perfectly okay. Do the military thang on your own terms with these ultra-feminine camo-floral pants that can be styled alongside a leather moto jacket and leather slip-on sneaks for a daytime casual uniform that slays. We’re so down.
18. Mango Military Style Coat ($230): Tailored to perfection, this navy military coat is more than deserving of a spot in your fall wardrobe. The red contrast trim, gold brass buttons and double-breasted style will make you feel super legit commuting to your nine-to-five. Round out your look with a pants-over-trousers getup and pointed-toe ankle boots that demand respect.
19. Nasty Gal Collection Got Your Six Soutache Military Jacket ($158): Can you count the ways to stand out from the crowd in this soutache military jacket? The limit does not exist. Start calling all the shots by styling it alongside a black bodycon midi dress, a leather mini or plain ol’ vintage mom jeans for a getup that says cadet-in-training. Girl boss-approved Doc Martens will be required from here on out.
Will you be test-driving a military-inspired look this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming fall trends!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.