Choosing the perfect wedding dress for your down-the-aisle debut is a big deal, but the whole experience can be totally eclipsed by one seriously stressful decision — what your wedding party will be wearing. Bridesmaid dresses are the bane of every bride’s (and bridesmaid’s) existence. You don’t want your girls to dish out for dresses they hate, but you have a certain look you’re trying to achieve too. Finding a compromise isn’t always a straightforward process, but if you’re willing to keep an open mind, we may have found the perfect solution: mismatched dresses. Here us out — there are plenty of ways that this could go totally wrong, sure, but with a little vision and a few clearly communicated rules, you and your girls can pull off a totally show-stopping look. Need a bit of inspo? We’ve pulled 12 swoon-inducing looks straight from Instagram for you to peruse.
1. Tropical Prints and Shades of Green: Talk about wedding bliss. Playful and varied palm prints break up classic green chiffon maxis to create a tropical look that feels fresh, modern and totally fun.
2. Sophisticated Shades of Gray and Blue: Need proof that letting your girls show off their unique style sensibilities can turn out totally classy? This Insta pic is it. Formal floor-length gowns in a variety of blue, clay and navy hues is the picture of elegance laced with a hint of modern edge.
3. Playful Pink and Coral Florals: YAS! Talk about #squadgoals. With a mix of pretty pink florals and a bit of glitz, this vibrant wedding party look is an all-around win. The thing that ties it all together? Bright floral headpieces and romantically curled locks.
4. Gold Glitz and Glamour: For a look that exudes modern glamour, have your girls rock glitter-flecked cocktail dresses in chic shades of Champagne and gold. Complete the look with nude pumps, elegant updos and statement studs.
5. Soft Pastel Pink and Blue: Enter the dreamiest wedding party look of them all. Soft shades of pale blue and blush come together seamlessly for a standout look. Pops of dainty floral prints and textured lace add a hint of drama and intrigue to the group’s look.
6. Textural Blue: Shades of moody blue and a mix of patterns and textures inject a note of artistic flair to this wedding party’s look. Loosely arranged bouquets of verdant greenery and half-up ‘dos take the look into boho territory — and we’re SO feelin’ it.
7. A Little Bit of Everything: Really trust your squad’s sartorial prowess? Give them free reign to choose their gown. Stipulate a length and then let them go wild. If you’re lucky, like this bride-to-be, the result will be stunning.
8. Burgundy, Wine and Blush: Boho brides, this one’s for you. Allow your girls to choose their own dresses in this to-die-for color palette, then create an element of cohesion with flower crowns and striking bouquets.
9. Mixed-Bag Black: Black at a wedding? Heck yes! If you’re looking for a surefire way to keep your girls happy and achieve a flawless look, formal black dresses or LBDs are the way to go. Your crew will be able to wear their dresses again (and again and again), and the timeless hue looks great in photos.
10. Moss, Goldenrod and Blush: Looking for an unexpected alternative to classic autumnal hues? This is it. Shades of earthy moss, gold and blush are warm and elegant, but it’s the mismatched nature of the look — patterns, prints and hints of shimmer — that really makes it all work.
11. Lavender, Blush and Ice Blue: Soft shades of lavender, pink and blue make this “I do” look the perfect match for a sophisticated garden party or a swanky seaside soiree. Opt for floor-length styles and perfectly coiffed locks for a more formal affair, or keep things casual with shorter hemlines and laid-back ‘dos.
12. Cool, Muted Hues: Your style can’t be kept in a box — and neither should your bridesmaids’. A palette of gray, blush and blue will bring the wow factor no matter how you spin it. So girl, let ’em do their thing.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!