It can be tricky trying to sift out which trends are a must-try and which ones can fall by the wayside. But there is one trusted resource we can always turn to — Alexa Chung, who is basically #goals incarnate. Her effortless style and chill sensibilities have us wanting to uproot our lives and become street style stars across the pond. The It-girl is famous for her trendsetting tresses and signature style, and she just so happens to be the queen of the modern shag. The modern shag, fondly referred to as the swag, is the latest hot hairstyle to take over Instagram. Sorry, lobs, but there’s a new ‘do in town, and the laid-back look of the textured fall shag has stolen our hair-loving hearts. Check out these 13 hairstyles to find some shag inspo of your very own.
1. Short Textured A-Line Shag: This short, messy shag strikes a polished note with a soft, A-line cut. Opt for short layers in the back to create volume and add a dose of edge.
2. Soft Shaggy Bob: The texture of this shaggy short ‘do makes the bob look soft and sweet. We love how the tousled style looks picture perfect (and low maintenance!) from behind.
3. Modern Shag With Ombre: This style is the epitome of swag, featuring chunky layers and natural waves to boot. Upgrade your ombre by incorporating some face-framing fringe.
4. Shaggy Lob With A-Line Cut: Shagify (yes, that’s a word) your lob courtesy of subtle barrel curls and long layers. Use a sea salt spray to add texture and shine to your revamped lob for fall.
5. Soft Pink Shag: Colored hair, don’t care, and we are all about it. If you dyed your hair to a shade of pastel perfection, don’t hesitate to shag things up at your next haircut.
6. A-Line Shag With Ombre Tips: This next-level cut is the stuff of street-style dreams. The combo of uber-trendy ombre tips and stick-straight tresses take this fall trend into must-have territory.
7. Medium Shag With Waves: Add dimension to your shoulder-length ‘do with choppy layers and natural waves. Here, the woke-up-like-this look of the swag is styled to beachy perfection.
8. Medium Shag With Balayage: Balayage babes, this one’s for you! Highlight sections of your hair with shades of blonde and caramel, then apply product at your roots for volume and height.
9. Long Layered Shag With Long Bangs: The key to this hair trend is to mix in straight strands with your natural texture for an overall soft style that flatters your bone structure. The devil-may-care ‘tude of the swag is the perfect way to rock your overgrown bangs this season.
10. Wavy Retro Shag With Heavy Bangs: Let’s not forget that this is a throwback trend, after all. You can totally opt for a more vintage look with a shorter, heavier bang and less obvious layers for a style that’s less messy for your nine-to-five.
11. Long Shag With Choppy Layers: If you want to stick to one shade for your strands, lighten up your look with a sweet shaggy cut. The healthy dose of choppy layered goodness will give you an effortlessly messy-chic ‘do.
12. Straight ‘n Wavy Shag With Layers for Height: We’re obsessed with this red-hot color, but the beauty of this shag is that it can be worn both straight and wavy. Note how the layers give her hair some serious height, especially when styled straight, and blend right in when the hair is worn wavy.
13. Retro Shag: Oh, this photo shoot makes us want to soup up that time machine and head straight to the ’70s. This long messy shag with retro feathering is absolutely everything when paired with grown-out roots and some sweet throwback sunnies. (Photo via C-Heads Magazine)
Which variation of the modern shag or “swag” would you try? Follow us on Pinterest for more hair inspo!