It’s 2017, people, and if you haven’t hopped aboard the color train just yet, now is definitely the time to throw caution to the wind and diversify your sartorial portfolio. And that means stepping away from snoozy shades of black, beige and gray. Don’t get us wrong — we love a good neutral palette, but variety is the spice of life! Ya dig? As a bona fide colorphobe, it’ll take some time to move over to the bright side, so start slow by adding a colorful accessory or two to your #OOTD. Once you get the swing of it, you’ll be ready for the next step — rocking color from head-to-toe. Doing the monochromatic thing can be intimidating, even when you’re working with pared-down hues, so some careful consideration is key for pulling it off. Below, we’re giving you a quick-and-easy tutorial on pulling off bold color like a street style pro.
1. Zara Short Floral Studio Slip Dress ($130) + Isamaya Ffrench x Finery Stepney Sock Boots ($229): ICYMI: Greenery — a bright and cheerful shade of green — is Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2017, so be prepared to see the not-so-subtle hue popping up everywhere. If the look-at-me shade isn’t exactly your cup of tea, opt for richer alternatives like bottle, emerald or forest. To tone things down, incorporate bold details like buckles or textured materials, as well as prints that feature green prominently that refocus attention away from the color and onto the ensemble as a whole.
2. J.Crew Italian Cashmere Tie-Back Cable Knit Sweater ($278) + Anthropologie Floral Burst Bandana ($24) + Annie Free X UO Magic Pin Set ($12): Let’s be real — orange is intimidating, and the thought of rocking it from head to toe might seem downright terrifying. But girl, have no fear. By layering various shades of the high-octane hue and throwing a few neutral pieces into the mix, you can effortlessly achieve a chic look without sending the fashion police into a frenzy. Ground the getup with a pair of denim with RN appeal or top off a vibrant ensemble with a longline navy coat.
3. & Other Stories Wool Sweater ($55) + H&M Coated Skirt ($50): Prints and solids aren’t the only way to nail your monochromatic look — sleek metallics provide an It girl-approved way to add drama to your look (and score all the style points).
4. Topshop Floral Pyjama Jacket ($125) + Mango Velvet Blouse ($80): The wardrobe blues don’t have anything on this boss lady-certified ensemble. Ditch your tried-and-true Monday morning standby for a velvet blouse and botanical blazer and navy culottes. Round out the getup with quicksilver boots and a go-get-’em attitude FTW.
5. Zara Midi Check Print Dress ($100) + Zara Multi-Strap Crossbody Bag ($30): Like orange, red isn’t a color that wallflowers will find easy to wear — it’s more apt to steal the show than fly under the radar. While a fiery power suit would be prime time for an upcoming networking event or a big presentation, a boho midi dress and slouchy bag are perfect for lending a low-key vibe to the wow-worthy hue, especially when teamed with lace-up block-heel booties and relaxed-fit utility jacket.
6. Topshop Longline Utility Coat ($240) + Sandro Phebe Belted Twill Straight-Leg Pants ($158): Purple has a regality about it that we simply can’t get enough of, which is why we’re determined to make it a regular in our rotation in 2017. Our favorite way to wear it? Pairing soft shades of lavender with jewel tones or moody grape. Make the combo really pop with unexpected yellow, orange and red accents.
7. Zara Short Anorak ($119) + Topshop Devore Cowl Neck Skater Dress ($140): Mustard is a must for every fall and winter wardrobe, so it’s likely that you already have a few mellow yellow pieces holding it down in your wardrobe. Dare to take your sunny staples to the next level this season, by doubling up. A velvet dress and puffer jacket make a perfectly on-trend pairing that is sure to turn heads.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.