Some disturbing behind-the-scenes footage from a new movie leads this morning’s top news stories. Check that and more out below.
1. If you’re an animal lover, you might find this hard to stomach. TMZ has obtained a video of a terrified German shepherd on set of A Dog’s Purpose being forced into a pool of rushing water to film a scene. The dog tries desperately to escape, and after it’s thrown in, it can be seen going under the water. The filmmaker tweeted that he was as disturbed as everyone else by the footage, that he did not witness it and says a thorough investigation is underway. People are calling for a boycott on social media, including PETA. Universal Pictures and Amblin Partners tell TMZ that, “Fostering a safe environment and ensuring the ethical treatment of our animal actors was of the utmost importance to those involved in making this film, and we will look into the circumstances surrounding this video.”
2. Twitter is totally roasting Donald Trump over this staged-looking photo of him writing his inaugural address. On Wednesday, Trump tweeted a pic of himself “writing his inaugural address” while at his “Winter White House” — his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago. Twitter wasted NO time picking apart the photo, from the decor to imagining what he might actually be writing, which most assumed was silly doodles. Some even pointed out that the desk in question wasn’t even his own, but belonged to a receptionist who worked at Mar-a-Lago.
3. Kanye reportedly “convinced” Kim to stay with him. The picture that Kim’s social media return paints is one of a happy family, who, even after being through a trying year, remain committed to each other, defying rumors from back in December that Kim was planning to divorce Kanye. In the latest issue of Us, another source says that they are indeed together, but that it took a lot of convincing on Kanye’s behalf, promising he would “continue with intense therapy.” This supposed insider claims that Kim “didn’t realize how much of Kanye’s behavior stems from a mental illness,” and is happy to see him following his doctors orders. Whatever it takes, we’re happy to see them moving forward together.
4. American Crime Story will take on the Monica Lewinsky scandal. FX’s true-crime docuseries, which had a smash hit with The People vs. O.J. Simpson, has confirmed to ET that its next series will focus on President Bill Clinton’s sex scandal with then-White House intern Monica Lewinsky. There’s no airdate set for it yet, as the producers work on getting the show’s next series, which will focus on Hurricane Katrina, on-air in 2018. (Photo via Jamie McCarthy/Getty)
5. A Lisa Frank movie is coming to brighten everyone’s lives. That’s right — as if a new clothing line and accessories weren’t enough, now we get to look forward to a live-action and animation hybrid film of the rainbow-and-unicorn-filled world of Lisa Frank. There aren’t many details on the in-development project just yet, but Lisa Frank has said, “I have always wanted to do a feature film that brings the world of Lisa Frank to life. We have so much backstory on our characters and they have been alive in my imagination since the beginning.” Can’t. Wait.
6. Quote of the day: “What makes me proudest about them is that they also don’t get cynical. They have not assumed that, because their side didn’t win or because some of the values they care about don’t seem as though they were vindicated, that somehow automatically, America had somehow rejected them or rejected their values.” President Obama addresses how his daughters felt after the election in his final press conference as President.
Have you been following Obama’s last weeks in office? Let us know over @BritandCo.
(Featured image via @adogspurposemovie)