Mother’s Day is a big deal because, hello, your mom rocks. You’ve likely started locking down plans and crafting the perfect DIY mother’s day gift, which means the only thing left to consider is pulling together an outfit to wear as you celebrate your madre — and everyday closet basics simply won’t do. Girlll, you know you have killer style, and forsaking it is totally out of the question, but being mindful of your mother’s taste is likely to win you some serious brownie points — and that is always a good thing. Besides, you know what happens when she isn’t diggin’ your duds (*cue the eye rolls*).
To help you strike the right balance of appropriate and on-trend, we’ve highlighted 13 flawless outfit ideas that are guaranteed to get mum’s seal of approval. From maxi dresses dotted with fresh spring florals to culottes and feminine tops (sorry ladies, no mom jeans here), they’ll get you through every occasion, whether it be a spa date or a swanky dinner, sans shade thrown by mother’s watchful eyes.
1. Reformation Savanah Dress ($218): Forget button-ups — who needs stuffy collared shirts when this sunny yellow stunner is guaranteed to get the thumbs up at Mother’s Day brunch? Style it alongside a straw clutch and strappy sandals for a swoon-worthy look that will rack up the mom points.
2. ASOS Occasion Jacquard Crop Pant Co-ord ($65): Lady, you clean up nice. This jacquard number has dressy dinners covered — just add a silky cami and crossover mules, then watch as the compliments roll in.
3. Topshop Floral Print PU Pleated Skirt ($115): Pleasing mom doesn’t have to mean totally abandoning your personal style. This leather skirt gives you the best of both worlds — the tough-girl edge you love with a silhouette and playful print she’ll definitely be able to get behind. Balance out the flirty feel with a biker jacket and flatform kicks.
4. Zara Printed Top ($36): Whether you wear ’em together or rock ’em solo, these pretty floral separates look killer with bold gold bangles and yellow suede mules for a leisurely lunch with ma.
5. & Other Stories Linen-Blend Jumpsuit ($245): Any time is a good time to step out in a sleek jumpsuit, and Mother’s Day is no exception. Scalloped blouses and ladylike sacs soften the streamlined silhouette and make the ideal outfit for afternoon tea. Pinkies up!
6. J.Crew Ruffle-Sleeve Top ($80): Who doesn’t love a good excuse to hit up the spa? Opt for a playful, billowy top like this bell-sleeve blouse that’s easy to slip on and off, just in case there just so happens to be a massage on the agenda. Toss it over white cropped flares and strappy clogs, and you’re ready for some pampering.
7. Staud Walter Dress ($175): Girls’ weekend in the cards (preferably to a tropical location) with all the ladies in the fam? Take this color-block frock along for the ride, with beach babe waves and an arm party complete with wooden bangles. The only thing missing? A couple of those funky umbrella drinks for a toast to mom.
8. Keepsake Mercy Pant ($150): These tailored trousers work overtime, teaming up with printed tees and classy crop tops for your Mother’s Day fête, then killing it on the job with a sleeveless blazer and block-heeled pumps.
9. Mango Printed Dress ($50): Between the vibrant blooms, an A-line silhouette and off-the-shoulder styling, this breezy number is a triple threat. Practically made for sipping margaritas with mom in the warm sunshine, it straight-up slays with statement earrings and a red-hot mani.
10. Babaton Vince T-Shirt ($40): If you’re treating mom to a night out on the town complete with dinner, drinks and tickets to that hot new show, you need the right duds to take along. Enter this super chic combo. Slip a statement choker around the roll neck for extra It-girl appeal that will make mum proud (you know who you owe your street style cred to).
11. Nasty Gal Floral Support Lace Dress ($78): A foolproof mamma’s day outfit in under five minutes? Look no further than this ladylike lace dress with cute cap sleeves and eye-catching embroidery that will win over mother’s impeccable sense of style. Pull hair back into a low chignon and toss on a denim jacket for good measure — you really can’t go wrong.
12. Express Medallion Floral Barcelona Cami ($45): Enjoy a picnic in the park in relaxed jeans, this cheerful cami and a navy boyfriend blazer with sleeves rolled up for a look that Mom just might want to steal — fo’ real. Hey, the woman’s got style.
13. Native Youth Gingham Frill-Sleeve Mini Dress ($65): Step into this sweet gingham dress and indulge mum in an afternoon of art and culture with a stroll through her favorite galleries, followed by a poetry slam or swingin’ jazz ensemble. Toughen it up with cutout Oxfords and a suede jacket.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.