There’s something refreshing about celebrities who wear their everyday items in an unexpected way, such as when they repurpose a DIYed t-shirt with a killer formal suit or wear a simple white button down with a ballgown skirt. Lately, they’ve been rocking moto jackets with their red carpet-ready princess gowns, and it looks good, y’all.
Style maven Whitney Port even wore it in Barcelona to an event. It’s a great way to take something classy and give it just a hint of edge.
Selita Ebanks wore it on the red carpet at a recent NYC Ballet event — super surprising choice for a formal event like that! The off-beat combo of a long, sweeping gown with a tough leather topper is perfect for all your summer wedding needs — you’ll definitely be a style star with this look. Here are some of our favorite combos.
1. Lilla P Terry Moto Jacket ($240) and A by Amanda Rio Maxi ($99): This soft-shouldered jacket will keep the chill away for sure, and can also be used in-office and for a casual weekend. It’s a great investment piece, with this being the most surprising way to wear it.
2. BLANKNYC Faux Leather Moto Jacket ($98) and Wildfox Floral Maxi ($158): Just like Whitney’s pale, dreamy colors, this pink and blue combo takes two daytime closet staples and makes them into a nighttime ensemble with jazzed up jewelry, strappy heels and a metallic clutch.
3. Levi’s Faux Leather Moto Jacket ($98) and Hemant and Nandita Printed Maxi ($308): Navy blue leather is really pretty against a printed maxi dress — perfect for an urban afternoon wedding. Pull your hair back into a pretty braid or bun and add drop earrings to make it totally wedding worthy.
4. Lamarque Lambskin Moto Jacket ($475) and Everly Maxi Dress ($52): If you’re looking for a classic black leather moto jacket, this one from Lamarque is really versatile. An understated blush colored maxi dress is a beautiful canvas for a really stunning necklace.
5. Neiman Marcus Leather Zip Moto Jacket ($325) and Lush Maxi Dress ($48): Hot pink moto jacket?! Why the heck not. It’s really pretty against a simple navy dress — let the jacket speak for itself as an accessory.
Show us your creative dress combos on Instagram with #iamcreative!
(Photo via Nicholas Hunt/Getty)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.