If you color your hair regularly at a salon, it’s pretty much like saying “buh bye” to your paycheck. But, you can always boost your hue (or try a new one) in the comfort of your own bathroom. While some boxed colors are tried-and-true (and for good reason), you might be overlooking your shade soul mates. Scroll through for five brands you need to know whether you’re after ombre, pastel, or good ole’ brown/black/blonde.
1. Jerome Russell Punky Color: Hello, hue! If you’re looking for a bold semi-permanent dye in every color of the rainbow, you’ll love Punky Color. Colors like plum, pink, and cherry red are made without acid dyes, which can stain your scalp.
2. L’Oreal Paris Feria Smokey Pastels: Obvs you’ve already heard of L’Oreal, duh. But hear us out. Their Feria Smokey Pastels collection is totally gorg. Look out for the blues, pinks, and lavenders that are smoking hot. Plus the formulas are hydrating so they won’t dry your hair out.
3. IGK Amaro Ombre Highlight Spray: Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could get perfect ombre highlights without dealing with the mess and complicated process? Well, there’s a can for that. Simply spray it on for the contrasting look you’re after. Note that the color is only temporary, though, so you’ll need to repeat on days you want the perfect sun-kissed highlights.
4. Manic Panic Amplified: If the ingredients in most hair dye brands make you nervous, you’ll love Amplified. Not only do they have fun shades like Virgin Snow and Vampire Red, but it’s also made with a completely vegan formula and their tagline is, “Tested on celebrities, not animals.” Heart!
5. Christopher Robin Nutritive Mask With Temporary Coloring: You know when you get gorg highlights, but they change color as they fade over time? Boo that. Reach for this mask that’ll subtly even your pigment while neutralizing gray.
Ready for more hair color inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.