It still may totally feel like pool party weather, but August is really a transitional month in the beauty world. While focus remains on summer-specific goals like hydrating your skin and getting that perfect just-off-the-beach hair texture, other aspects of out-right-now products are already feeling decidedly fall. Think: color palettes that are going the way of the leaves and changing, big time. As you scroll through our list of 10 must-try beauty products for August, prepare yourself to say sayonara to summery neons + bright, punchy hues and welcome the glam gem tones and iridescent finishes that will be big next season. With a lip gloss that changes color like a mood ring, a create-your-own fragrance bundle and four brand-new Essie nail polish shades to buy right now, letting go should be fairly easy.
1. Smashbox #Shapematters Palette ($65): We’re big believers in investing in a does-it-all palette — it’s the busy-girl makeup way — so it should be no surprise that this face, eyes and brows sculpting kit has shot straight to the top of our list. With 16 bestselling shades packed into one palette, you can flawlessly contour every feature without cramping your makeup bag.
2. Tatcha Soothing Triple Recovery Cream ($135): Typically, Indigo is one of our go-to dyes of choice. But the deep blue plant extract is making the leap from our DIY kits to the top shelves of our medicine cabinets in this replenishing moisturizer. Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, Indigo, along with colloidal oatmeal, are the star ingredients that make this rich cream an ace after-sun skincare soother.
3. & Other Stories Punk Bouquet Body Oil ($15): One of our favorite under-the-radar fast fashion brands just released the product that will finally convince you to convert to using body oil in your post-shower routine. If the musky-sweet scent and cheeky name don’t grab you, the spray-on feature + quick-absorbing formula will. Get silky smooth skin without the mess of a pour spout or dropper? Yes please!
4. Simple Micellar Make-Up Remover Wipes ($7): Finally, a makeup remover wipe that does not require you to wash your face after use! You have hydrating, multivitamin-enriched micelle bubbles to thank (the same ones found in popular water-based facial cleansers), for the deep yet gentle cleaning and fully residue-free experience.
5. Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor Lip Gloss in Flattering Blueberry Mauve ($25): Navy blue lip color is in right now, but this isn’t the time when we tell you — yes you — how you can actually pull the look off (stay tuned :) That’s because this shimmery topaz lip gloss actually turns into a mauvy-orchid hue upon application, like a mood ring for your lips. But the totally wow-worthy ‘90s twist isn’t the only detail that has us buggin’: ingredients like shea butter, omega-3 rich algae and meadowfoam seed oil ensure the formula is as conditioning as it is colorful.
6. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Poured ($38): Thanks to the strobing fad, highlighter is a more covetable makeup kit must-have than ever, and trust us, we’re not complaining — there might not be a prettier product around. Case in point, this shimmery skin perfector that creates dreamy dimension with its multi-toned pearl pigments. With colors ranging from silvery Pearl to bronzy Topaz, there’s an option for every skin tone.
7. The Blend Custom Fragrance Blending Mini Kit ($29): Developed by the master perfumers at Fred Segal, this travel-sized kit contains four cult fragrances curated specially for mixing and matching. Wear a flowery scent like Tropic Bloom on its own to hold on to the last days of summer or combine the scents to DIY your own special custom fragrance by layering swirls of the sweet stuff on your skin.
8. Essie Fall 4-Piece Nail Polish Set ($17): With a swoon-worthy collection of colors like metallic fawn (Leggy Legend), not-so-sweet pinks (With the Band + In the Lobby) and glittery gunmetal (Frock ‘n Roll), these four lacquer colors perfectly embody the edgy, ‘70s-inspired glamour that fall is all about. They’re essential to round out any outfit where flares, a mock-neck jumper or cropped suede jackets are involved.
9. TIGI Bed Head Joyride Texturizing Powder Balm ($30): What even is this magic hair potion — “the control of a balm with the dry feel of a powder” what?! — promising perfectly lived-in, second-day hair every gd day? It’s the product all lazy girls who want that sort-of polish need to buy.
10. Clinique Chubby Lash Fattening Mascara in Bodacious Black Honey ($17): It’s official: colorful mascara is a full-fledged trend, and Clinique is the latest brand to make you reconsider swiping on traditional black or brown. This rosey-marsala mascara or a deep teal go on more subtly than you may think, giving off there’s *something* different about your eyes vibes while lifting and elongating your fringe.
What new beauty products have you bought recently or are dying to try? Tell us in the comments below.