You don’t need to wait ’til Mardi Gras to bring a little bit of New Orleans flavor into your home. These 16 zesty recipes are worth celebrating all year long. From sweet beignets to savory gumbos, there’s no doubt that this cuisine knows how to throw your taste buds a party. Get out that shaker of powdered sugar and your stash of hot sauce — it’s time to cook Big Easy-style.
2. One-Pot Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya: Made with brown rice, this Cajun-style jambalaya is sure to keep you satisfied even longer than most. We’re talking one serious, stick-to-your-ribs rice bowl. (via Gather + Dine)
3. Beignet Ice Cream Sandwiches: A little place by the name of Cafe du Monde is famous for its beignets and cafe au laits; these ice cream sandwiches cleverly fuse the two elements together into one sweet homage. (via Glazed and Confused)
4. Classic Chicken Sausage Gumbo: A triplicate of thickening ingredients — mahogany roux, filé powder and okra — team up to give this gumbo its characteristic silky texture and outstanding flavor. Stir up a big pot the next time you’re in need of a hearty bowlful of something hot, and you’re all chili-ed out. (via Saveur)
7. New Orleans Red Beans + Rice: Beans and rice are a budget-friendly combo, and this dish flavored with sausage and ham proves that it doesn’t have to be boring. Whatever you do, don’t forget the hot sauce. (via Hungry Cravings)
9. Duck Fat Beignets: A pinch of cayenne pepper and duck fat take this batch of beignets in a welcome savory direction. Don’t worry, they’re still delicious doused in powdered sugar. (via Southern Soufflé)
14. Dirty Fried Rice: Now this is some offal-y good rice. Once all the flavors mingle, you won’t be able to tell that it’s made with chicken livers — they simply add a nice, rich savoriness to the dish. (via Bon Appétit)
15. Ramos Gin Fizz: Raw egg white and a whole lot of shakin’ are the keys to making the frothy layer atop this refreshing cocktail. After just one sip, you’ll be transported to Bourbon Street. (via Cocktail Society)
Share your top New Orleans food picks with us below!