When you think wardrobe essentials, tees and jeans are probably the first to come to mind. They’re the building blocks of practically every outfit both on and off duty, and you can be sure they’ll never really go out of style. But every once in a while, your standard best basics‘ sartorial appeal starts to feel… well, basic. It’s okay. It’s nothing a few amped-up accessories, on-trend outer layers and a killer pair of pumps can’t fix. Pieces with of-the-moment edge will have your go-to jeans-and-a-tee combo feeling fresh and effortlessly chic once again. So, before you hit a fashion wall, take a few style notes from the six getups below for new ways to style your t-shirt and jeans.
1. Add Luxe Accessories: Your weekend agenda is packed with everything from coffee dates to flea market browsing and drinks with friends, so stepping out in an outfit that is comfortable and will suit every occasion is key. A simple white tee and high-waisted jeans ground you in casual territory, while pieces like a faux-fur vest and architectural mules add an air of sophistication.
2. Inject Retro Flair: Breton stripes and relaxed-fit jeans are the ultimate It Girl uniform and a blank canvas for endless on-point outfits. Try going vintage-chic by swapping out standard sneakers for patent buckle flats and tossing on a chic but totally lived-in suede trench.
3. Keep It Casual Friday Cool: Make a tee and cropped flares feel office-night ready by layering on a longline vest and statement baubles. Lace-up steppers with a lift will elongate your entire frame, or you can polish it up with a belt at the waist and high-shine loafers.
4. Bring on the Boho Vibes: Take the free-wheelin’ feel of wide leg or flare jeans to the next level with carefree separates, like a flowy poncho with Southwest flair and a sleek boho pendant. Ankle boots and a fringe bag are musts.
5. Go Varsity Chic: A leather jacket is an obvious denim-and-tee topper. Think more luxe and top off a pair of patched denim with a silky, collared bomber that fuses both throwback and modern vibes. Carry a structured snakeskin handbag and slip on stylish sunnies for insta-cool.
6. Athleisure Your Heart Out: A basic turtleneck takes the place of your fave tee when the temps drop, but pairs just as perfectly with a pair of boyfriend jeans. For an athleisure edge, roll up the cuffs and rock ’em with bright and bold sneakers and a longline bomber jacket. In the accessory department, stash your essentials in a luxe leather backpack and toss on a beanie to keep your head toasty.
What’s your favorite way to inject new life into jeans and a tee? Tweet us your go-to tricks @britandco!