Welcome to the first installment of our new feature, Nightly Newsy, in which we catch you up with the biggest news stories of the day.
1. Conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly dies at 92: When it was all but certain to pass, Phyllis Schlafly made her name successfully recruiting an army of housewives to defeat the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1970s. And she galvanized a generation of right-wing women, like Ann Coulter and Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway. But, on the other hand, Phyllis lived to see same-sex marriage legalized and all kinds of sexist discrimination, from campus assault to equal pay, gain serious attention. She died on Monday at age 92, leaving a world that made significant progress in spite of her best efforts.
2. President Obama has nominated the first federal Muslim judge: Yes, if he’s confirmed, Abid Riaz Qureshi will be the first Muslim to serve as a federal judge. Better late than never, of course. He’s been nominated to the US District Court for the District of Columbia, but his confirmation is anything but certain right now. Congress has yet to hold hearings on Merrick Garland, whom Obama nominated to replace Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia back in March.
3. UPenn students hand out flyers to combat rape culture: When an unofficial frat at the University of Pennsylvania sent out an email soliciting “fun” attendees for a party (and implored them to “wear something tight”), some students decided to fight back with their own message. Sexual assault on college campuses is a huge issue, after all: As many as one third of female students at UPenn will experience it during their time there. One of the women involved wrote to Teen Vogue, “This isn’t a frat-specific problem, though; it’s a problem with the culture of college campuses.”
4. No more iPhone headphone jacks, plus some other things: For all things Apple in the wake of today’s fall product launch, check out our liveblog of the day’s announcements. Some highlights, aside from the removal of headphone jacks from new phones: Anyone obsessed with Pokemon Go or running will want to get an Apple Watch stat.
5. Zendaya racially profiled: While shopping at Vons over the long weekend, Zendaya says she and a friend were refused service by a clerk who appeared to distrust them because they weren’t white. She documented the experience afterward for Snapchat, telling her followers, “This is what we deal with! Long story short, there is so much progress to be done in our world.”
(Photos via Twitter, Apple, Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images for Disney)
What news would you like to see here? Let us know @BritandCo!