The Fourth of July is right around the corner and, social butterfly or not, there are likely a few Independence Day events on the agenda. Be it a bonfire on the beach or a blowout backyard bash, you’re going to need a killer outfit to see you through. By now you’re a bonafide #OOTD queen, but the question of how to strike the right balance of patriotic and chic can still be a mystifying one — there’s a fine line between Americana and over the top. We hear you, girl. And that’s why we’ve curated this list of summer style essentials that will send your Fourth of July fashion into It girl-approved territory. Scroll on for 25 ways to wear red, white and blue that will do your style rep proud.
1. Alice McCall August Day Shorts ($190): Just-your-average denim shorts? Hard swerve. You’re not about to don a pair of blasé bottoms just to get in a bit of obligatory blue. With their decorative high waist and pinstripe design, these retro-inspired shorts hit all the right notes. Team ‘em with a classic tee and suede sandals for a laid-back look that nails it in the style department.
2. ASOS Sweater in Rib With Short Sleeves and Tipping ($36): No July Fourth fete would be complete without a few stars and stripes. This rib knit tee is perfectly patriotic with a subtle ‘70s flair. Whether you style it alongside high-waisted jeans and flatform slingbacks or a button-front skirt and clogs, you really can’t go wrong.
3. C/meo Collective Faded Out Dress ($190): If you’re taking this year’s festivities to the next level, a dress that reads ready to partay is so necessary. This asymmetric slip does the red-and-white thing in true modern muse fashion — no gimmicks or clichés here. The only thing missing? A rad clutch and windswept locks.
4. Miss Albright Fringed Mules ($198): Flip-flops? Pfft. Save those suckers for the shower. Flex that style know-how at your Fourth of July bash by strutting straight into that annual soiree with these fabulous fringe-flecked wedges that would look killer with crisp white culottes or an asymmetric midi dress.
5. Camp Collection & UO Crew Neck Ringer Bodysuit ($44): Kick it all casual-like for a laid-back cookout with a sporty ‘70s-inspired bodysuit that’s ready to take on everything from chillin’ in the hammock to a lively game of ultimate frisbee. Pair it with tie-front shorts, leather slides and a wide-brim hat for an elevated athleisure look.
6. ASOS Cami Satin Jumpsuit With Wide Leg ($65): One and done. This streamlined satin jumpsuit screams hostess with the mostest. Not only is it straight-up show-stopping, but it also makes getting dressed a cinch — key when you have cocktails to mix and a playlist to perfect. Jazz it up with a statement belt and geometric earrings for a getup that was made to mix and mingle.
7. Kate Spade New York Go Fly a Kite Clutch ($398): There’s no two ways about it: You need a stylish place to stash all that Independence Day swag (sunglasses, SPF wipes, siren red lipstick — you know, the essentials). This playful kite clutch is ready to rise to the challenge, and guaranteed to make any outfit soar straight into cool-girl territory.
8. Zara Tie-Dye Dress ($70): Beach bonfires and dipping your toes in the sand — that’s how you’ll be kickin’ it when the Fourth rolls around. Take this airy tie-dye frock along for the ride, white leather jacket and choker necklace in tow, and let the good vibes flow.
9. Pixie Market Preston Strappy Off the Shoulder Top ($95): Flirt it up under the fireworks with a flouncy off-the-shoulder top that will have you seeing sparks. Balance out the frill factor with streamlined trousers and architectural block heels, or take the feminine feel to the next level with an eyelet skirt and lace-up sandals.
10. Spitfire Aurora Circle Shades ($45): Throwing shade never looked so good. Be it a barbecue or a rooftop bash, a pair of stunning sunnies is non-negotiable. Blending modern aesthetics with throwback appeal, these circular shades will bring a decidedly RN edge to basics and trendy pieces alike.
11. Front Row Shop Red Plaid Mini Skirt ($37): Calling to mind lazy summer days and picnics in the park, this girly gingham skirt feels right on cue for an Independence Day fiesta. Style it with lace-up ghillies, an off-the-shoulder top and a classic straw bag for #OOTD perfection.
12. Asilio Watch and Will Cutout Dress ($550): Sometimes, cutoffs, tanks and tees just don’t cut it. Go ahead and take it there this year by adding this ethereal number to your lineup. Dress it up with silvery heels and glitzy drop earrings for an after-hours celebration on the terrace, or play it cool with leather gladiators and don’t-care hair for low-key cocktails and leisurely chats.
13. Furla Metropolis Mini Crossbody ($378): Flying under the radar just isn’t your style, meaning stepping out the door without at least one eye-catching accessory on hand is totally out of the question. Round out your festive getup with a bold graphic mini bag that just might make the fireworks jealous — because, yeah, all eyes will be on you.
14. Topshop Metallic Strap Cami ($50): Be it your BFF’s wedding or the Fourth of July, any opportunity to hit the dance floor must be seized. Shine bright as you bust out your best moves in a shimmery cami with a daring plunge neckline. Tuck it into a pair of wide-leg trousers, then take the sparkle factor to the next level with a glittery ear cuff.
15. Madewell Bandana ($13): Switch up your look from dusk to dawn (best believe you have more than one holiday get-together on your agenda) with an effortless bandana that can be worn as a fancy French girl-inspired scarf, an embellishment on an everyday bag or an unexpected alternative to a minimalist cuff. You like to keep them guessing, after all.
16. C/meo Collective Midnight Skirt ($190): All the versatility of a shirt dress, but with endless mix-and-match possibilities built right in: Meet the shirt skirt. Channel your inner urban sophisticate this Fourth of July by styling this wear-anywhere number with a silk cami, cutout ankle boots and a sleek, modern choker. Pass the Champagne, dahhling.
17. After Party Vintage Like a Badass Levi’s 501 Jeans ($88): Glamping adventure with the girls? A trusty pair of jeans won’t steer you wrong. Pair these two-tone stunners with a classic flannel shirt or embroidered kimono for marshmallow roasting and dancing under the stars.
18. Free People Magic Mystery Printed Tunic ($108): Cue the sparklers: This free-wheelin’ floral top is something to celebrate. Counter the boho babe vibes with playful shortalls, asymmetric earrings and quirky embroidered espadrilles for an Independence Day parade or lively block party.
19. Dannijo Silvia Earrings ($270): Move over, Americana. Making America chic again is going to require a little more than a few stars and stripes. Put these true blue sparklers at the center of your US of A ensemble and watch as the double taps come rolling in.
20. Night Walker Tie Me Up Maxi ($105): Bad vibes and cases of the outfit blahs don’t stand a chance against this Insta-approved maxi. The daring slits and OMG-worthy neckline are guaranteed to make jaws drop as you sashay in to the party. Team it with layered necklaces and beachy waves (with a few petite braids) for a look that will straight-up slay from dusk until dawn.
21. SixtySeven Echos White Ghillie Espadrille Flatform Sandals ($106): Don’t even think about letting the Fourth pass you by without adding these next-level espadrilles to your must-have list. Whether you’re kickin’ back in a racy one-piece or schmoozing in a swingy floral frock, these lovely lace-ups will deliver that little bit of oomph every summer #OOTD requires.
22. Topshop Tie-Up Body ($28): Going all-American is as easy as slipping into this red-hot bodysuit that commands attention. Pair it with a twirl-worthy skirt and strappy slide-on sandals or your favorite cropped jeans and a baseball cap for an easy-breezy look you’ll want to rock all season long.
23. C/meo Collective All Day Knit Dress ($190): You don’t have to betray your minimalist sensibilities to get into the patriotic spirit. This chic knit dress serves up a healthy dose of white and blue, plus a few stripes to boot — and all without pomp and circumstance. Kick your Team USA pride up a notch with a swipe of vibrant red lipstick and a half-moon bag (red, if you’re feeling really keen).
24. Front Row Shop White Spliced Cotton & Linen Tank Top ($62): Who says you can’t take it there for a chill BBQ or seaside hang sesh? Spice up snoozy basics — boyfriend jeans, A-line skirts and everyday shorts — by throwing this asymmetric top into the mix. Play up the contemporary cool feel with architectural baubles and a sleek ponytail.
25. Nasty Gal Frilly Jean Appliqué Skirt ($68): Can it even be considered a Fourth of July bash without a bit of good ol’ American denim? Leave the vintage Levi’s behind and whip out this lace-trimmed mini that is sure to turn more than a few heads. Earn best-dressed status at your bestie’s BBQ by pairing it with a flirty off-the-shoulder top and fringe-flecked saddlebag with a carefree summer vibe.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.