Sassy, sparkly and, for the most part, short — New Year’s Eve dresses don’t typically fall into the category of office appropriate (as fabulous as they are). But if you’re of the mindset that every piece in your closet should be able to pull a little double duty, then the standard sequin-studded frock just isn’t going to cut it. For a dress that can hack it both on the dance floor and in the boardroom, keeping the embellishments subtle and the hemlines nine-to-five ready is key. These 14 dresses have the perfect work-life balance, offering up design that will keep you shining bright, no matter what the occasion.
1. Vince Camuto Sleeveless Sequin Sheath Dress ($188): The shift dress is the ultimate work wardrobe essential. Not only do they always look good — the best quality in any dress — but they’re fuss-free too. High-shine gold sequins give this classic number a party-perfect update that will deliver a healthy dose of glamour both on duty (toned down under a cozy cardi or blazer) and off duty.
2. The Laden Showroom X Re:Dream Turtleneck Midi Dress With Keyhole ($108): A rich shade of wine and a sophisticated midi silhouette will render your work getup utterly divine. Rock it with gilded pumps and chandelier earrings for a night out and metallic-accented loafers, thin hoops and a long-line sweater for the office.
3. Ann Taylor Feathered Hem Dress ($248): You’ll steal the spotlight in this gem and feather-dusted dress, while totally redefining dress-code-compliant dressing. Team up with ankle boots for both day and night and layer the frock over a turtleneck sweater for some majorly cozy daytime vibes.
4. COS Metallic Coated Dress ($135): A quicksilver coating gives a long-sleeved shift a light-catching effect to ensure you shine bright as you shake it on the dance floor or nail that presentation. To make it office-ready, layer it over black flared trousers and chunky-heeled ankle boots.
5. Reformation Clausen Dress ($178): An anything-but-your-basic blazer keeps your workweek look polished and sleek, then adds an ultra cool edge to your night out look with fishnet tights and chunky-heeled pumps.
6. French Connection Pleated Poly Dress ($88): This simple and chic dress makes sure your NYE look is on lock, but can totally hold its own Monday through Friday layered over a roll-neck top, elevated flats and tights.
7. Finders Keepers Guilty Pleasure Wide-Leg Jumpsuit ($190): A contemporary-cool high-neck jumpsuit is just what you need to spice up both your nine-to-five and night-out sartorial routine. Switch out your sleek booties at the office for strappy sandals at night.
8. Warehouse Blue Embroidered and Sequin Dress ($267): With a classic A-line silhouette, sheer three-quarter-length sleeves and delicate floral embroidery, this subtle stunner is the picture of ladylike chic as is for work or play.
9. Oasis Floral Embroidered Dress ($120): Think outside the box this NYE and ditch the LBD for something with a little more pizazz, like colorful, eye-catching embroidery. Wear it over a billowy, boho top during the day and ditch the base layer when you’re ready to hit the town after hours.
10. Topshop Striped Glitter Bodycon Dress ($70): Metallics — even a subtle sprinkling in — are a must for New Year’s Eve. This copper-colored bodycon is all things glitzy, making it perfect for partying all night long. Tuck it under a pleated midi for midweek or layer it over cigarette trousers for a striking daytime look.
11. Whistles Savannah Embellished Dress ($370): Go retro this NYE with a classic short shift decked out with funky mirrored embellishments for a standout evening look. During on-duty hours, rock it with pointed-toe ghillies and a cropped jacket.
12. Zara Devoré Velvet Dress ($100): What better way to ring in the new year than with a little velvet on your side? Pair it up with gilded baubles and over-the-knee boots, then transition to leather leggings and studded oxfords for a badass office-ready getup.
13. Topshop Satin Structured Dress ($270): A sleek and sophisticated satin dress serves as a blank slate for endless workweek and after-hours ensembles. Play down the dressiness with bright white sneakers for a fun take on office casual and sport with open-toed mules to a swanky dinner party.
14. Whistles Alexa V-Neck Dress ($300): A relaxed fit means you’ll be crazy comfy as you bust a move on the dance floor, while a sculptural, yet non-fussy silhouette makes for unparalleled versatility. Bold tights will make this neutral number a standout on any night, while the asymmetrical hemline makes this a perfect option for wearing over white palazzos at the office.