Proof that the runway isn’t losing any steam, day four of Fashion Week brought it in a big way. Some of the killer trends coming your way in the upcoming months? Ruffles, larger-than-life shoulder duster earrings and belted looks galore — and that’s just for starters. There were plenty of slip dresses and velvet pieces to swoon over too. While you might have to wait until spring to scoop up spring/summer ’17’s stylish offerings, you can totally start channeling next season’s hottest looks now with a bit of clever styling. Below, you’ll find five our favorite fashion looks from day four, plus pieces you can shop right now to totally nail them.
Velvet On-Duty Essentials
While Victoria Beckham’s spring/summer ’17 show left little be desired (exhibit A: this omg-worthy midnight blue crushed silk two piece — now that’s a mouthful), there was one thing we were left wishing — that she had graced us with her impeccable sartorial skill set sooner. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
1. Topshop Velvet Wide Leg Trousers ($100): Life’s too short to stick to snoozy separates. Let those style sensibilities shine at your nine-to-five by swapping out standard black slacks for crushed velvet bottoms with serious panache. The best part? The relaxed fit comes off as on-trend rather than dress code-offending, so you can keep it real while you get your girlboss on.
2. Pretty Little Thing Rebecca Black Belted Blazer ($62): HR-appropriate doesn’t automatically translate to uptight and stuffy. Fake it ’til you make it with a belted blazer that’s equal parts polished and laid-back. Teamed with velvet trousers and sleek modern kicks, you’ll be well on your way to achieving best-dressed-employee status.
Classy and Casual
Leave it to J.Crew to tempt us with their perfectly-preppy-plus-a-cutting-edge-twist kind of charm. We zeroed in on this uptown-meets-downtown blend that exudes It-girl appeal in a totally effortless way. A pom-studded purse and basic tee infuse a ladylike maxi skirt with a healthy dose of casual cool that makes desk-to-drinks dressing feel like a breeze. (Photo via Noam Galaj/Getty)
3. J.Crew Tie-Waist Skirt in Cotton-Linen ($98): A skirt with this much wear-anywhere potential deserves to be celebrated. For the ultimate office-to-after-hours ensemble, team with an embellished tee, modern block heels and asymmetric earrings.
4. Anthropologie Nostalgia Tee ($58): There’s no piece in your closet quite as versatile as a graphic tee, and this illustrated stunner is no exception. Instantly infuse smart separates with a touch of street-style cool by adding this number to the mix. Bold accessories, like mismatched earrings or a quirky clutch, are highly encouraged.
The SS17 runways have already seen their fair share of solids this season, but Altuzarra put a little pattern play into action with his latest collection. Bright and bold graphics and exotic prints were styled side by side to stunning effect, with timeless silhouettes providing just the right amount of sophistication and class. (Photo via JP Yim/Getty)
5. ASOS Petite Salon Blazer in Blue Floral Print ($98): It’s official: It’s time to ditch the traditional blazer in favor of suiting separates with serious personality. Enter the fabulous floral topper that pulls double duty like it ain’t no thing. Pop it over silk joggers, a slinky slip or distressed denim for a flawless look every single time.
6. ASOS Snake Paneled Leather Pencil Skirt With Button Front ($162): Okay, so it’s a smidge over $150, but we just couldn’t resist. Between the bold stripes and faux snakeskin panels, there’s a whole lot of wow-factor woven into this sleek number. Pair it with a simple black top and sassy steppers for an OMG-worthy look that’s ready to take on everything on your agenda.
If practicality wasn’t a thing, best believe this glitzy Erin Fetherston maxi skirt would be finding its way into our wardrobes stat. The ensemble does, however, bring the merits of daytime shimmer to light. Office doldrums with a side of pizzazz? We’ll take it. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
7. Zara Shiny Skirt ($50): When your weekend tee-and-jeans routine starts to read meh, spice things up by swapping out overdone denim with a twirl-worthy midi skirt that sparkles in the light. Proceed to pair with pointed-toe ankle boots, band tees and leather jackets for just the right amount of ladylike edge.
Cardi Coats and Cropped Denim
Your new off-duty go-to? A cozy cardi coat and cropped denim combo a la Prabal Gurung. Fusing comfort and cool factor with effortless ease, this getup will take you from casual coffee dates to poetry slams and everywhere in between. (Photo via Nielson Barnard/Getty)
8. Mango Wool-Blend Cardigan ($80): Before full-on parkas and winter coats become a thing, this warm wooly cardigan will keep you cozy and your style on lock during crisp fall days. Toss on an oversized scarf and fresh white sneakers for a laid-back look with endless Insta-worthy appeal.
9. Madewell High-Rise Crop Flare Jeans in Maribel Wash ($128): Short on style these cropped jeans are not. Between the high waist and subtle flare, they deliver a serious punch of ’70s-inspired pizzazz, whether you team ’em with a billowy bow-neck blouse or graphic sweatshirt and block heel ankle boots.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.