Pulling together an outfit that says girl boss with style can be enough of a challenge first thing in the morning, but when it’s blustery and cold outside, your getup needs to actually keep you warm too. Once you get into that toasty office though, you can’t be stuck in a sweaty sweater. The styling trick? Make sure you load up on sleek layers that can easily be taken off and on. From longline blazers to printed scarves and suede shirts, these 11 office-ready layers will keep your cozy when you’re bracing against the chill and cool when you need to be on it at work.
1. Zara Cropped Overshirt ($50): A blazer or cardi will be draped on the back of everyone’s desk chair this season, but if you’d like your chilly topper to hold its own in your 9-to-5 outfit, a cropped long-sleeve top is the way to go. Toss it over your everyday button-down or blouse and prepare to impress your cubicle buds with your strong style game.
2. Ann Taylor Faux Leather Leggings ($85): When tights just aren’t warm enough, these sleek leather-look leggings are a sturdy substitute. They’re perfect for adding a tough edge to a favorite frock or dressing up a sophisticated tunic-and-blazer combo.
3. Influence Navy Faux Fur Vest With PU Side Panel ($164): Step aside, tailored shells and sweater vests — things are about to get real glam. A faux fur vest will turn your on-the-clock style factor way up. Rock it with a pencil skirt and blouse or ankle pants and a structured long-sleeve top.
4. Eugenia Kim Carlie Fingerless Gloves ($55): Don’t let frozen fingers slow you down and throw off your on-the-job tactile game. Stash a pair of fingerless gloves in your desk to slip on when temps take a serious dive.
5. McQ Alexander McQueen Swallow Swarm Print Scarf ($120): Wrapped snug around your neck or worn as a wrap, a vibrant scarf perks up any workweek getup and protects against the chill in the most stylish way.
6. Sister Jane Lightshow Sweatshirt ($65): Sneaking a sweatshirt into the office just got a whole lot easier thanks to this sequin-studded number. The sparkly embellishments and prim collar look dressed up when paired with trousers, skirts or pleated frocks.
7. Mango Metal Effect Cape ($80): A classy cape can add a dramatic edge to even the most basic of workweek essentials while still keeping in the warmth. To temper the drama, pair it with slim-fit trousers and chunky ankle boots.
8. J.Crew Tissue Long-Sleeve T-Shirt ($33): This simple tee is soft and layer-friendly, making it the key to unlocking endless sartorial opportunities this season. Sleeveless shift dresses instantly become winter-ready (no blazer needed), while fuzzy sweaters become that much warmer.
9. H&M Glittery Over-the-Knee Socks ($10): Sheer stockings might keep legs covered, but they don’t exactly keep you toasty. Over-the-knee socks with glam glittery thread won’t just make wearing skirts and dresses this season a whole lot more fun, but they’ll also make any ensemble Instagram-worthy in seconds.
10. ASOS Premium Notch Blazer in Longline ($90): If your dress code is not exactly flexible, a clean-cut blazer with plenty of modern appeal is a must. This longline style gives you a few more inches of coverage, which is huge when you’re trying to warm up.
11. Zara Zip Cropped Top ($36): Shaking up your 9-to-5 duds is always a good thing. Skip the standard blazer and opt instead for a cropped zipped top with elbow-length sleeves. Layer it over a classic white button-down for a modern but totally put-together look.
How do you keep warm and stylish at the office? Share your tricks with us on Twitter!