Mary-Kate and Ashley have always been some of our favorite style icons, even all the way back when they were rocking plaid jumpers and bows in their ponytails. They recently launched their very own line of evening-wear that most of us can only drool over. And while we don’t see ourselves buying one of the Olsen gowns anytime soon, we do appreciate the aesthetic their designs embody: effortless, confident and eclectic. In an interview with Vogue, Mary-Kate and Ashley both talked about what five things in their wardrobe they couldn’t live without. We decided to get the look, but in a way that was a little more in our budget.
For Ashley, comfort is key. Her top five were silk blouses, denim, loafers, scarves and a bag that can fit everything.
1. The Loafers: Think flats are boring? Think again with these gold tassel loafers ($57) that we think Ashely would totally love.
3. The Silk Blouse: Since the shoes are all party, keep your top simple and stick to a plain white silk blouse ($89).
4. The Scarf: Even if the weather is warm, a light scarf is definitely a must and the tassels on this ombre scarf do double duty as jewelry ($58).
5. The Big Bag: The last thing you need to complete the Ashley-Olsen-essentials look is a huge bag that you can throw everything in. We think Ashley would approve of this oversized vegan tote bag ($54) that would look right at home at the beach or out on the town.
Mary-Kate is all about the classic look. Denim, button-down shirts, her own vintage jewelry, sunglasses (no surprise there) and a pair of classic pumps were her wardrobe “must-haves.”
1. The Denim: Mary-Kate loves Textile Elizabeth and James jeans ($119), and she’s not the only one who swears by the fit. Treat yourself to a pair of distressed crop jeans, perfect for warmer weather.
2. The Pumps: Pair them with a pair of colorful pumps ($75) like Mary-Kate for the ultimate, casual knockout look.
3. The Vintage Jewelry: While we may not be able to shell out for some of the clothing in the Olsen’s line, we definitely are all about their affordable jewelry, and a colorful statement piece like the Bellflower Necklace ($30) is the perfect accent to a button-down shirt.
4. The Button-Down Top: Neutral tops are great, but we’re a little bit in love with this sunny, color block top ($90) and we think Mary-Kate would appreciate the extra bit of eccentricity.
5. The Sunglasses: After you figure out which pair of sunglasses are best for your face shape, top off your outfit in true Olsen style with a pair of big sunglasses like these from & Other Stories ($39).
Which Olsen twin’s look do you like the most? And what are your top five wardrobe essentials? Talk to us in the comments below!
(Photos via Dimitrios Kambouris / Getty, Robin Marchant / Getty)