While gowns at this years’ Oscars leaned princess-y, the biggest hair trend of the night had a totally opposite look. The minimalist ponytail was the hot hairstyle to have. The always-sleek ‘do has gained steam since the new year, moving from street style standby to red carpet regular. Want evidence? Take a look at A-list celebs like Olivia Munn, Mindy Kaling, Kelly Ripa and more who all gave it a go with a straight-center part on Oscar night. In terms of easy-to-copy hairstyles, this is it: Not only does the minimalist ponytail work with different hair textures (no, you don’t have to flat-iron your hair to death to take part in this trend), but it’s also pretty easy to style — as in, one-product easy. Below, see the best updos of the 2016 Oscars and the hero hair product you need to make the majorly polished look all your own.
1. Olivia Munn: Olivia’s center-parted ‘do was the perfect balance of being styled but not overly slicked back. Her perfectly out-of-place hair looked naturally shiny — not like it had a bunch of product in it, just plain healthy. For that can’t-quite-put-your-finger-on-it polish, use a product like Living Proof Nourishing Style Cream ($37) to smooth out your hair ever so sightly. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Olivia Culpo: Olivia Culpo’s Oscars ponytail was the opposite of Olivia Munn’s: slicked back and free from any flyaways. To copy her so-sleek, so-chic ‘do, apply a hair oil like Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil ($21) before you style your pony to give it a lightweight hold. Your hair won’t look or feel greasy with this stuff; it’ll have just the right amount of sheen and holding-power, but still feel soft. (Photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)
3. Priyanka Chopra: Not all ponytails have to be sleek, people! Take Priyanka’s super volumized version last night: It still has that no-fuss vibe about it (a must-have for minimalism), but is sightly elevated thanks to a bit of backcombing and a volume-boosting product like Tresemmé Volumizing Mousse ($5). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Kelly Ripa: A more loosely-styled minimalist pony also made a notable appearance thanks to Kelly Ripa. Her barely-there waves naturally fell and framed her face perfectly, while the beachy texture pulled the whole vibe of her ‘do together. Grab a product like Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray ($6) to ace a tousled, matte finish. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
5. Mindy Kaling: Mindy’s pulled-back hairstyle allowed focus be on her gorgeous face, especially since it was totally free of flyaways. That’s key — any loose hair would distract from the sleekness of this look. Use a tool like Conair Fly Away Brush ($4) to smooth out your ponytail after you’ve set it in place — just make sure you’re gentle! (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more celeb hair inspo.
(Featured Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)