So your birthday happens to be during the best time of the year, AKA fall. Lucky you! Before winter has you cooped up inside, why not stay out in the crisp autumn air and fill your big day with fun outdoor activities. How does a day at your favorite amusement park sound? Or perhaps a chic boat party with flowing Champagne is more your style. Or maybe, just maybe, you absolutely love glamping. Whatever it may be, we’ve got tons of outdoor-inspired ideas to choose from below. If you’re ready to take your birthday celebration to the next level, scroll on for 11 awesome outdoor birthday activities you and your friends will love. Happy planning!
1. Go hiking. Tell your friends to take a hike — with you on your birthday, of course! Head out and breathe in the fresh air of the great outdoors while exploring your local terrain. Bring reclining chairs or a large durable blanket and you’ll have an amazing opportunity to view the stars at night — just be sure to bring flashlights for the walk back!
2. Visit a pumpkin patch. Nothing says “fall” like visiting a pumpkin patch. Celebrate by making a day of this fun activity: Have your friends pile onto a hay ride and pick out the biggest pumpkin you can find. Then gather everyone together that night for a carving party — check out these creative pumpkin faces for inspo.
3. Go wine tasting. Get your buzz on this year and visit a winery or go wine tasting. If being a professional wine drinker was actually a real thing, we’d all be quitting our day jobs, ASAP. Since this isn’t a career we can realistically achieve, why not pretend for one day that it’s your job and go wine tasting for your birthday. And a party fit for wine-lovers isn’t complete without snacks. Make sure your wine adventure consists of delicious and tasty treats too: Here are some wine and cheese pairings to get you started.
4. Go on a bicycle scavenger hunt. If a cookie-cutter birthday celebration just won’t do, then it’s time for something new and exciting this year, like creating a bicycle scavenger hunt. Fill your clues with fun facts about your town or inside jokes that will leave your squad in stitches and lead them to the next clue. Decide on a hunt hashtag, and make sure teams posts photos of each solved clue to Instagram for proof. Fun Tip: Decorate your cruiser in your birthday party’s theme or colors, and plan a scheduled stop along the way so that you can have your cake and a celebratory toast.
5. Go apple picking. Fall is finally here, which means apples are ready for picking. After you share the joy of fruit picking with your family and friends, you can all meet in the kitchen for some delicious apple dessert creations. Try one or two (or three or four) of these yummy apple recipes.
6. Go glamping/camping. You love being outdoors, and camping is no exception — minus that fact that you camp like a glamorous celebrity. Glamping is the perfect way to celebrate your birthday. Not to mention, you can have unlimited s’mores (check out these recipes!) and booze with your friends underneath the stars. Make sure you bring these glamping must-haves, including plenty of blankets, pillows and an extra large mug for your hot cocoa.
7. Go on a pub bicycle tour. It’s a bar, it’s a bike, no… it’s a pub bicycle tour. This bicycle trolly is operated solely by you and your peddling besties, making it both a hilarious workout and a party on wheels. Most pub bicycle companies allow you to either book in advance or make an appointment on the whim. Make sure you leave your heels at home — we recommend wearing sneakers, booties or boots. (via Florida Fun Bikes)
8. Host a boat party. There’s no fancier way to celebrate your birthday than on the water with good friends and bubbly Champagne. Plus, you’ll be able to shout, “I’m on a boat!” If you plan gourmet menu selections and build the perfect party playlist, we can guarantee this birthday will be one you’ll never forget! (via Brit + Co)
9. Visit an amusement park. If you live for Disneyland, California Adventures and Universal Studios, you should totally visit one of your favorite amusement parks for your birthday. Yes, getting a hug from Mickey Mouse on your birthday is as amazing as it sounds. Don’t forget to wear your crown or sash so everyone knows it’s your big day. Planning Tip: Plan ahead by downloading or picking up a map of the park so that you cram in as much fun as possible in one day.
10. Go on a picnic. Now that the weather is *officially* under 100 degrees, a birthday picnic is totally what you need. There’s no better excuse to get together with your besties, lay out a plaid blanket, sip wine and snack on some delicious finger food.
11. Enjoy a backyard campfire. Even though your birthday is after the prime time for beach parties and strappy sandals, it’s during a season that’s perfect for chilly nights in the backyard with a cozy campfire. So gather ’round with your loved ones and celebrate your birthday under the stars. Perhaps a delicious s’more dessert pizza is what you need instead of a traditional birthday cake.
Will you host an outdoor-inspired birthday bash this year? For more creative party ideas, follow us on Pinterest!
(Photos via Getty)