For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
If you’ve decided to give up grains, eating meat at every meal can be a bit of a shock. While some primal eaters are totally cool with eating meat at every meal, others may prefer to eat veg when possible — and workday lunches are a great place to do this. It may seem like you have to choose between Paleo recipes and raw vegan recipes, but actually, it’s totally possible to have BOTH. If you’re trying to cut back on carbs but you don’t want to overdo it on animal products, this list of 12 low-carb, grain-free vegan recipes is going to be your new best friend. Make them ahead of time and take them to work for a quick, healthy meal.
1. Sweet Potato Noodles With Brussels Sprouts and Lentil Ragu: First off, let’s get one thing straight: If you’re not going to be eating any grains OR meat, you’re going to need to bend the rules slightly. While strict Paleo doesn’t include legumes such as lentils, it’s important to get some protein into your diet if you’re going to be eating veg. This delicious recipe is healthful, protein-packed and totally free of grains and refined starches. (via Inspiralized)
2. Cashew Satay Spiralized Vegetable Stir Fry: Now, THIS recipe is 100-percent Paleo-friendly, as it uses only nuts and vegetables. To make sure it’s gluten-free, be sure to use an appropriate soy sauce, such as tamari, or a soy- and gluten-free alternative of your choice. (via Cotter Crunch)
3. Crowd-Pleasing Vegan Caesar Salad: This plant-based version of the classic Caesar salad will satisfy herbivores, primal eaters and everyone in between. It even includes a totally vegan version of homemade “Parmesan cheese” to boost the flavor of your greens. (via Oh She Glows)
4. Sesame Sweet Potato Noodles: This flavor-packed recipe makes use of the healthy, nutritious and ever-delicious sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are a great source of grain-free carbohydrates that are gentle on your digestive system — and have the sometimes-evasive (in low-carb diets, anyway) comfort-food factor. (via The Organic Dietician)
5. Asian Cucumber Sesame Salad: Speaking of sesame-flavored dishes, this salad is simply BURSTING with bright colors and flavors. It’s made with cucumbers, carrots, red bell peppers, onions, ginger, cilantro and lime juice. And, duh, sesame seeds. (via A Saucy Kitchen)
6. Cauliflower Mash: While white potatoes are technically Paleo-friendly, they do have a decent amount of carbs and a pretty small nutritional value (unlike sweet potatoes, which have TONS of nutrients.) And besides, all the butter that usually goes into mashed potatoes is neither vegan nor Paleo. But no worries: This cauliflower mash recipe fixes all of that. (via The Healthy Chef)
7. Vegan Pesto Zucchini Noodles With Asparagus: Zoodles are one of our favorite things pretty much always, and this recipe combines them with a flavorful vegan pesto. You’ll be getting some protein from the pine nuts in the pesto recipe, but you could also use this as a side to accompany a slice of chicken breast (if you’re not actually vegan, of course). (via Inspiralized)
8. Split Pea and Cauliflower Curry With Roasted Rutabaga Noodles: Sure, you’ve heard of sweet potato noodles and zucchini noodles. But have you ever tried RUTABAGA noodles? Give this recipe a go — it also features a warming curry made with ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric, chili powder and coconut milk. (via Inspiralized)
9. Vegan Sweet Potato Enchiladas With Avocado Cilantro Cream Sauce: Why yes, you *can* in fact make healthy enchiladas. These cheese-less, tortilla-less treats are anything but traditional… but they are arguably equally as yummy. Bonus points for the avocado- and cilantro-based “cream” sauce that goes on top. (via The Thin Kitchen)
10. Vegan Shepherd’s Pie: Shepherd’s pie is warm and comforting, and skipping the animal products won’t change that. This vegan version of the wintertime classic is made with just 10 ingredients: potatoes, lentils, onions, garlic, vegetable stock, thyme, mixed frozen veggies, vegan butter, salt and pepper. (via Minimalist Baker)
11. Avocado and Tomato Zucchini Noodle Salad With Basil Vinaigrette: Avocados are a very healthy source of fat for vegans, and they give dishes a rich, creamy texture and flavorful kick that’s hard to beat. Spiralize some zucchini noodles and top them with tomatoes, avos, peas and this delicious basil vinaigrette recipe. (via Inspiralized)
12. Curried Cauliflower Rice Kale Soup: We only included one soup recipe on our list, but there are TONS of ways to make vegan and Paleo-friendly soups. Case in point: this soup, with uses cauliflower rice in lieu of traditional rice to create a hearty, warming and healthy dish. (via Cotter Crunch)
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy recipe ideas, from vegan to Paleo and everything in between.