Summertime calls for spending time outside. If you’re lucky enough to have a fabulous deck, we have several ideas on how you can start decorating it. From wire dining sets, to a couple versions of the classic sling chair, and accessories like lights, lanterns, candles, and more you’ll never want to go inside again. And if you aren’t lucky enough to have a patio of your own, head to the park with one of these 20 picnic blankets you can buy or DIY. It’s time to spend the summer al fresco.
1. Curt Deck Chair ($420): A new take on the classic sling chair, oversized version just requires a sturdy wall before you start lounging around. (Look familiar? It was also one of our picks for our 30 Places to Take a Seat roundup.)
2. West Elm Bend Dining Table & Chairs ($400): Decorative wire chairs are a fixture of modern design, and these bright yellow ones are a totally affordable version of the classics.
3. Faux Bamboo Bar Carts (from $295): What deck would be complete without a well stocked bar? None that we know!
5. Garden Oasis Retro Steel Clam Rocker ($60): Head back to your grandparents’ front porch (in your head anyway) with this retro glider. Just make sure you have some lemonade in a mason jar to enjoy with it.
6. Empire Fireplace Steel ($110): You don’t have to have a lot of space to enjoy a fire pit. All it takes is a small table or plant stand for this square steel bowl. Not your style? We have plenty of other portable fireplaces to choose from.
7. Shoreline Adirondack Chair & Ottoman ($167): Classic for sitting on the cape, this bright red Adirondack chair is anything but boring. The only danger is that you’ll never leave your deck again.
8. Polished Copper Bird Bath ($77): Make sure your feathered friends have a place to cool off during the sweltering summer days. If you don’t have a yard, you can also stake this birdbath in a potted plant.
9. Outdoor/Indoor Post Planters ($92): Make use of vertical space on a small deck with these brightly colored planters. They also work just as well inside. Find more planters in our avant gardening guide.
10. Happy Yellow Stripe Indoor/Outdoor Rug ($138): Bring the cheeriness of your indoor decor outside with this brightly striped rug.
11. Lucinda Orange Stacking Chair ($70): Prepare for unexpected guests by having a stash of these powder-coated iron chairs at the ready.
12. Del Mar Fish Umbrella ($119): Keep your deck bright but still shaded with this colorful umbrella perfect to cover a table or lounge chairs.
13. Colorblocked Basket Chair ($298): Far from your traditional woven basket chair, this colorful version from Anthropologie will seat guests in style.
14. Starlight Citronella Candles ($24 each): Keep pests from crashing your barbecue by sprinkling these candles around your deck or patio.
17. Kalamazoo Artisan Fire Outdoor Pizza Oven ($6,500): Pricey, yes. But the homemade pizza you’ll get from it will make it totally worth it.
18. Plant Orb ($125): Not your mother’s hanging planter this orb is handmade in Brooklyn, and will fit anything in your plant collection.
19. Stripe Canvas Hammock & Stand Set ($130): Yes, you need hammock on your deck. Is that even a question?
20. APPLARO Storage Bench ($70): Seating + garden supply storage = a win-win situation.
21. Vintage Library Ladder with Galvanized Shelf ($380): Plants aren’t the only thing you can store on this vintage-inspired ladder. We’re thinking it would make a good bar setup, too.
22. Harwich Lanterns ($19.50-$39.50): Make these lanterns even more porch-friendly by stocking them with citronella candles.
23. Patio Garden Kit by Scout Regalia ($105): Making a raised bed for your patio has never been easier than with this kit.
24. Time & Tide Clock ($98): Even if you’re far from the shore, you can make your deck feel coastal with this display.
25. Quel Objet Sling Chair ($150): The gold standard for outdoor lounging, this is what we’re coveting this summer.
What will you be buying for your deck this summer?