There is definitely something to be said for the traditional Thanksgiving feast. It’s hearty, beautiful and oh-so-American. But after so many Turkey Days it might be time to switch things up a bit. Why not keep with the spirit of the holiday by sticking with all the major ingredients, but use them in a whole new way (turkey empanadas, anyone?) Whether you want to add these to your Thanksgiving menu or use them for what’s bound to be an excessive amount of leftovers, here are 20 of the hottest Thanksgiving dishes trending on Pinterest right now.
1. Mashed Potato Pancakes: Use that extra mash to whip up these potato pancakes that are somewhat of a hybrid between a latke and a hashbrown. Fry them up with breakfast and serve them with a fried egg on top. (via Just a Taste)
3. Turkey Tacos With Cranberry Salsa: If you’re hosting a small Thanksgiving, forget about the giant turkey and just buy a turkey leg for shredding. Stuff that tasty meat into taco shells and add in cream cheese and cranberry salsa. Boom! Thanksgiving. (via Mountain Mama Cooks)
4. Bacon Wrapped Stuffing Bites: Oh, stuffing. We have mixed feelings about you. Transform the classic side into an appetizer that nobody is going to be able to resist, because… bacon. (via Tablespoon)
5. Gluten-Free Turkey Hand Pies: Differing slightly from the turkey empanadas, these hand pies are gluten-free and use an assortment of savory flavors like thyme, parsley and even white wine. (via Gluten-Free Canteen)
6. Turkey Cranchiladas: It might seem strange to use cranberries in enchiladas, but the fruit adds just a hint of sweetness, which is balanced out by its tartness and the spiciness from the pepper jack cheese and hot sauce. And besides that I mean c’mon, they’re called cranchiladas… (via Pink Parsley)
7. Mashed Potato Cheddar Chives Waffles: An excuse to bust out our waffle iron? We’ll take it. This savory, totally genius way to use leftover mashed potatoes will definitely come in handy beyond the Thanksgiving holiday. (via Joy the Baker)
11. Pumpkin Pie Milkshake: Skip out on the giant pumpkin pie and just buy a couple of pre-sliced pieces from your local grocery store. While you’re there, pick up some vanilla ice cream. Now go home and blend them all together and voila! A real pumpkin pie milkshake. (via Blogging Over Thyme)
13. Turkey Quiche: Quiche. We always seem to forget about it and all its eggy goodness. This quiche is a bit lighter, subbing out the pastry crust for a tortilla and using sweet or mashed potato. (via Imma Eat That)
14. Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps: This recipe uses minced turkey as opposed to shredded. If you’re trying a new kind of turkey dish for Thanksgiving, go ahead and use this recipe as is. If you want to use it for leftovers, just make a few adjustments to the recipe by using shredded turkey as opposed to minced. (via Tartine and Apron Strings)
19. Mashed Potato and Stuffing Patties: Stuffing can be hard to repurpose, but it seems there’s finally a recipe that manages to do it. Combine stuffing, mashed potatoes, onion and even some leftover turkey to create these crispy patties. (via Pocket Change Gourmet)
20. Turkey and Mashed Potato Croquettes: The ultimate leftover dish, this recipe uses mashed potatoes, turkey and cranberry sauce in a whole new form: as a fried, breaded croquette. (via Martha Stewart)
How do you use up Thanksgiving leftovers? If you have a good recipe or idea, share it with us in the comments below.