Though it’s often overshadowed by wedding and graduation season, don’t be mistaken — festival season is a BIG deal. And not just among the bohemian crowd. Whether indie music is your jam or you just like getting all decked out in DIY paper flower crowns, off-the-shoulder frocks and fringe galore, there’s no shortage of OMG-I-want-to-wear-that statement pieces to go around. Between hitting up Coachella, Bonnaroo or an outdoor summer concert, we’ve got you covered with 17 plus-size festival season style essentials that bring that tough-girl edge that you so desire. Don’t fret about what to wear to a festival this year — we’ve got all the inspo you need.
1. Forever 21 Plus Size Stripe Bikini Top ($20): If Miley Cyrus would wear it, then it’s totally festival-approved. Not just restricted to poolside lounging, this rainbow bikini halter top is destined to be teamed with a bodycon skirt and “ugly” flatforms for a scene-stealing look.
2. Missguided Plus Size Holographic Rain Coat ($48): Rain or shine, this holographic lilac rain coat will make you break out in a spontaneous dance party. You could team it alongside a drab, shapeless dress (although we recommend modern-day go-go boots for the win!) and still look nothing less than DDG.
3. Violeta by Mango Off the Shoulder Dress ($100): Repeat after us: Festival season does not exist without some off-the-shoulder action. This drawstring denim dress is as back-to-basics as it gets without entering snoozy territory. Style it with loose waves and some playful pom-pom sandals, and repeat the look come beach weekend.
4. Lane Bryant Crochet Lace Up Dress ($100): Usher in sunny days with this ‘70s-esque goldenrod crochet dress — featuring of-the-moment bell sleeves, no less! — that’s worth a twirl or two. For a hippie-chic look, add a flower crown and some throwback mules.
5. Forever 21 Plus Size Denim Pencil Skirt ($25): As a rule of thumb, frayed denim pencil skirts will always do you right, and this one is no exception. Whether you dress it up with a leather jacket and studded ankle booties or pair it with a colorful crochet bodysuit, you’re this close to becoming Beyoncé.
6. Boohoo Plus Zoe Floral Maxi Dress ($44): Have a cold-shoulder maxi dress, will wear it to Coachella, Bonnaroo and every other music shindig on the horizon. With dangling feather statement earrings and chunky platform clogs in tow, you’ve got the makings of one epic festival season capsule wardrobe.
7. H&M+ Fine-Knit Poncho ($50): Easy as toss-on-and-go, this laid-back-chic knit poncho with fringe is all sorts of cozy (and then some). Not only will it be perfect for a late-night cuddle sesh with your boo, but it just so happens to look ah-mazing with leather pants, distressed cutoffs — you name it.
8. Who What Wear for Target Women’s Minimal Moto Jacket ($50): Fake it ‘til you make it with this edgy faux leather moto jacket that demands attention. Whether your style sensibilities err on the boho side or you’re a minimalist enthusiast, this bad boy is just the extra somethin’ somethin’ your outfit needs. Team it with high-waisted flares, denim overalls or a tie-dye dress for festival style done right.
9. Who What Wear for Target Women’s Plus Size Tie Neck Blouse ($37): Oh, this old thang? For major style cred with zero effort, this bold floral tie-neck blouse is as effortless as it gets. Swap out dramatic lace-up gladiators for OTK boots, and vice versa, for an easy-breezy look that’s always on point.
10. Old Navy Linen Plus-Size Explorer Jacket ($50): Enter the army green safari jacket that you won’t want to leave home without. Seriously, just don’t do it. With a drawstring waist and pockets galore (perfect for storing your festival essentials), this topper is equal parts functional and off-duty chic. Proceed to style with with everything.
11. Missguided Plus Size Printed Split Maxi Skirt ($48): Reveal more than just a little leg with this double-slit maxi skirt that won’t go unnoticed. Keep things daytime casual with a black crop top or bring it with an off-the-shoulder bodysuit that can transition for after-hours with some lace-up ghillies.
12. Old Navy Mid-Rise Destroyed Skinny Ankle Boyfriend Plus-Size Jeans ($50): When skinny jeans are too, well, uptight, and flares are too predictable (been there, done that), a pair of trusty destroyed boyfriend jeans can do no wrong. Play it safe with a relaxed white tee and a flannel shirt tied around your waist, or take it there with a satin bomber jacket and some Birks.
13. Alice & You Folk Embroidered Yoke Skater Dress ($68): Master the art of free-spirited dressing a la this embroidered cream dress that’s light and airy enough for those hot summatime days. Pile on the flash tats and layered pendant necklaces now before transitioning it with a bouquet of blooms for a woodland wedding.
14. New Look Inspire Floral Bardot Top ($17): “I have nothing to wear…” Things you don’t hear when this flirty Bardot-inspired top is in the equation. While the floral print screams tropical paradise, the ruffle layer adds an unexpected element of polish that just works. Pair it with a button-front skirt or white shorts for an island-meets-festival-season getup.
15. Violeta by Mango Embroidered Denim Jacket ($100): If it’s good enough for Gigi and Kendall, then it’s more than good enough for us. To achieve that cool-girl look you so desire, an embroidered denim jacket is guaranteed to take every outfit up a notch (or maybe three). Pair it with a bold red lip and some glitter in your hair, and you’re there.
16. Violeta by Mango Openwork Cotton Blouse ($80): Ultra femme is the name of the sartorial game this festival season. Rest assured — you don’t have to ditch your personal style to reach boho-babe status. Case in point: Style this gorgeous scalloped lace top with palazzo pants and strappy sandals for a killer #OOTD that doesn’t mess around.
17. Forever 21 Plus Size Rose Print Romper ($20): Get your groove on with this carefree rose print romper that’s more than ready to come out and play. Gusty winds ain’t got nothin’ on you! Proceed to style it with a ‘90s-esque choker and a fedora for a flawless look.
What are your festival season essentials? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful festival inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.