November is officially in full swing (welp!), which means time is running out to snag the quintessential party-going look. Being the social butterfly that you are, you’ll undoubtedly need a mini capsule wardrobe of after hours-approved statement pieces to survive the holidays in style. ‘Cause — let’s be real — the same ol’ little black dress just isn’t going to cut it for every ugly sweater party, formal sit-down dinner and all-out rager you’ve got penciled in the books. (And turning down an invite would *obvs* be social suicide.) We’ve got you covered with 27 plus-size statement pieces (think: swishy pleats, decadent lace and next-level sequins) to snag just in time for the holidays.
1. Eloquii Taffeta Full Maxi Skirt ($111): Wowza! Go ahead and give this entrance-making emerald taffeta maxi skirt a twirl for a season of hostessing duties, holiday shindigs, you name it. Way more versatile than your traditional floor-length gown, this hero piece can be elevated to street MVP status with subtle accoutrements in the form of a gold minaudiere clutch, a velvet choker or ankle-strap steppers. Play it safe with a velvet turtleneck before turning it up with a come-hither lace-up bodysuit come the p.m.
2. ASOS Curve Sequin Santa Holidays Sweater With Pom Poms ($53): Hey now, ugly sweater parties exist for a reason. AKA, solely so you have an excuse to whip out this tacky AF Santa adorned sweater for shameless selfies with your squad. Between the cotton ball poms and shimmery red sequins, this holiday staple just may be the gift that keeps on giving.
3. Forever 21 Plus Size Sequin Shift Dress ($23): Let it be known: There won’t be any flying under the radar in this sequined shift dress that was made for shimmying on the dance floor and hitting up a holiday bar crawl. Grab a diva-esque faux fur topper and some velvet platform heels for a disco glam look that’s borderline fierce. Pssst: We’re betting this stunner makes a reappearance come New Year’s Eve.
4. Closet Plus Duchess Sateen Midi Skirt With Bow Detail ($91): Fairy-tale moments DO exist. All that’s missing are some clear glass slippers, and this swoon-inducing sateen midi skirt will have you feeling like Cinderella. Not only is the rich burgundy hue spot-on for every holiday-related function in your iCal, but the charming bow just may take your breath away. Pair with a sheer lace blouse and strappy heels for a getup that would do any hostess with the mostess proud.
5. Who What Wear Women’s Plus Size Pajama Shirt Dress ($37): You’ll inevitably hit a point during all the holiday hoopla when you just DGAF about styling a brand spankin’ new look. Being a socialite is harder than it looks, y’all! For those exact instances, reach for this relatively unassuming polka dot print pajama shirt dress that promises to give off a trying, but not trying too hard vibe. Toss it on with some backless mules and you’re there.
6. Violeta Sequin Embroidered Dress ($250): Tough-girl-in-training right here. A surefire way to add instant swagger to a sequin dress? We thought you’d never ask. Top off your look with an off-duty shacket, a camo print topper or a patchwork utility jacket — and slip into some lace-up combat boots for a don’t-mess-around ‘tude.
7. Lovedrobe Wrap Front Dress ($83): Girl, don’t back down now. This slinky metallic wrap dress, complete with kimono sleeves, is straight-up magic. In the formalwear department, it’s practically considered the unicorn of the bunch. For a celestial-inspired look that’s so RN, team this snazzy number with dangling star-shaped earrings and extra-plush velvet pumps.
8. Who What Wear Women’s Plus Size Faux Leather Birdcage Skirt ($35): When it comes to around-the-clock dressing, there are few wardrobe workhorses that live up to their potential as much as a wear-everywhere leather skirt. We recommend styling this faux leather option with an ultra-girly neck-tie blouse and chunky block heels for a foolproof #OOTN (outfit of the night) that will never steer you wrong.
9. Lavish Alice Plus Split Back Cape Dress ($112): When in doubt, ask yourself — WWOPD: What Would Olivia Pope Do? We’re pretty sure this fierce cape dress featuring a split back would be right up her alley, especially with a top-handle satchel and power pumps in tow. While we wouldn’t normally recommend mixing business with pleasure, in this instance, we see no drawbacks in doing so. Team this hero piece with kicky loafers and tights for the office before subbing in some architectural steppers once five o’clock rolls around.
10. Eloquii Sweetheart Neckline Jumpsuit With Skirt ($170): Does this Grecian-inspired jumpsuit featuring a sweetheart neckline look a tad familiar? Funny you say that, because Nicolette Mason actually wore it to this year’s Emmys celebration. Team it with a gilded bow belt and some DDG Swarovski chandelier earrings for a winter gala-worthy look that speaks volumes. A black cape (or your date’s blazer) may be in order in case the temps get nippy.
11. ASOS Curve Sheer Blouse With Satin Pockets ($49): Let’s hear it for anything-but-boring basics that have the potential to take any outfit from zero to 100. Styled alongside a black pencil skirt and lace-up ghillies, this gray sheer blouse will more than pull its weight this holiday season. It’s the satin details that will turn heads at upcoming networking functions, dinner receptions and post-work get-togethers.
12. H&M+ Tube Top ($30): While it’s no longer the early ‘00s, we’re kind of loving this luxe take on your everyday tube top. Offset the allover sequins with a fierce bomber and some velvet pants for a getup that’s guaranteed to outshine the rest.
13. ASOS Curve Midi Skirt in Pleated Satin ($53): Party pleats, please! If there’s one thing we can’t turn down, it’s an ultra-femme accordion pleat skirt that swishes in all the right places. This fancy chocolate-hued satin number can double for the workplace (just add a silk blouse and smart blazer) and happy hour. For the latter, a lingerie-inspired camisole and d’Orsay pumps will lend *major* drama.
14. Violeta Draped Detail Dress ($100): Playing it safe doesn’t always have to mean plain and snoozy. Case in point: While this gorgeous maroon-hued dress with draped details may not scream crazy GNO, it’s a shoo-in for fancy affairs where you’re not sure about the dress code. Opt for a sophisticated chignon and you can’t go wrong.
15. H&M+ Slip Dress ($30): When in doubt, you do YOU. In lieu of overdone sequins and plunging necklines, allow this velvet slip dress to do all the talking. Layer it over a thin white turtleneck and toss on some athletic trainers for a model-off-duty uniform.
16. Old Navy Button-Down Plus-Size Plaid Midi Shirt Dress ($47): This is what you wear for a potluck dinner (or Friendsgiving feast) in which you’ve signed up to bring your great grandma’s famous apple pie. While the seasonal buffalo plaid print screams modern-day lumberjack, it’s the lazy girl-approved shirt dress silhouette that channels all the comfy-cozy vibes.
17. ASOS Curve Stone Embellished Swing Dress ($98): Part Daisy Buchanan, part flapper girl, this dazzling swing dress requires no introduction. Between the all-over bejeweled embellishments, the throw-on-and-go shape and those scalloped sleeves, you’d be crazy not to add this after hours-approved dress to your going-out wardrobe. Just don’t forget a feather boa and a sparkly clutch for maximum impact.
18. Chi Chi London Curve Blue Laser Cut Midi Dress ($119): You’re a classy lady about town who likes nice things (think: vintage Chanel bags and bow-topped heels). In lieu of barely there going-out threads, opt for this midnight blue lace frock with a classy demeanor that would do any urban sophisticate proud.
19. H&M+ Sequined Dress ($70): Pass up the opportunity to sport head-to-toe sequins? You obviously don’t know us very well. Maybe it’s a masquerade ball, or perhaps you’re really just feeling the holiday dazzle this season — either way, this sequined stunner is made for the limelight. So much so, it may put you in a holi-daze.
20. Violeta Contrast Lapels Blazer ($150): At the heart of every wardrobe is a signature black blazer that can be tossed on with ease. Between casual meet-and-greets and formal occasions that require a little bit more styling, this black contrast lapel blazer will come to the rescue time and time again. When the dress code reads business-professional, keep things on the DL with a silk cami, rolled-up boyfriend jeans and strappy heels.
21. Elvi Embellished Shift Dress ($128): Party on with this embellished shift dress that can be admired up close and from afar at many a black tie affair this season. You best believe you’ll be reaching for it once your prized LBD grows stale and you have *nothing* to wear (classic fashion girl conundrum, we know). The mesh overlay and sweet cap sleeves get our vote.
22. H&M+ Blouse With Tie ($35): Have a refined neck-tie blouse, will style it a million and one ways. Between a suede mini skirt, jacquard trousers and even a velvet pinafore dress, this trusty button-down is the capsule wardrobe essential you didn’t know you needed, but won’t be able to live without.
23. Little Mistress Plus Lace Bodice Jumpsuit ($103): Meet the unassuming wrap-front jumpsuit that doesn’t get nearly enough style cred. With a lace bodice on top and tuxedo pants down below, this elegant piece will work overtime to ensure you’re cocktail party-ready in a flash. In other words, proceed to reach for this bad boy every time a last-minute function arises.
24. Violeta Lace Dress ($130): A pink lace dress with this much wow-factor is exactly what the doctor ordered for a candlelit dinner with your boo or your boss’s annual holiday party. Bring on the open-toe heels and a menswear-inspired herringbone coat for a night spent schmoozing and sipping Champs.
25. ASOS Curve Red Carpet Gold Disc Sequin Dress ($166): Channel your inner woman in gold (literally!) with this red carpet-worthy frock that packs mega sparkle and charm. While the sequin paillettes may catch your eye at first glance, it’s the sexy low-cut back that puts the va-va in the voom. Round out your evening look with a punchy red lip and some peep-toe heels for a hint of Old-Hollywood glamour.
26. Of Mercer Madison Dress ($175): Watch out, Kate Middleton! There’s something incredibly refreshing about this curve-enhancing cobalt dress that fits and flatters in all the right places. With three-fourth sleeves, it’s tasteful enough for meeting your S.O.’s parents over Thanksgiving break and conservative enough for any holiday-themed work events your office may be hosting this season.
27. ASOS Curve Holidays T-Shirt With Sequin Sleeve and Holidays Tree Print ($38): A casual holiday office party (or evening spent decorating your fam’s tree) naturally calls for a sequined t-shirt that packs a little extra somethin’ somethin’. Slip this tree print tee right on with your black boardroom slacks and some glitter-flecked heels for an HR-approved uniform that exudes holiday cheer.
Which of these party-ready essentials will you be investing in this holiday season? Follow us on Pinterest for more holiday style!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.