Fashion trends come and go, but sometimes a totally unexpected design detail manages to captivate the masses, becoming a bona fide style essential in the process. For spring, it comes in the form of the statement sleeve. Carrying over from seasons past, the OTT detail has officially transitioned from “fad” status to FROW mainstay, thanks to its enthusiastic reception by the biggest names in the #OOTD game. From tiered ruffles to sultry illusion styles and everything in between, the nine pieces below prove why power sleeves should be on your radar this season.
1. Loéil Sylph Top ($108): With Greenery being the color of the year, you can’t afford not to scoop up this show-stopping blouse. Spice up your off-duty uniform by styling the larger-than-life sleeves with boyfriend jeans, block heels, and statement earrings for a getup that will take you from day to night with ease.
2. Zara Striped Blouse With Pleated Sleeves and Bow Belt ($50): Call us crazy, but we have a feeling this candy-striped top is going to find its way into the closet of every It girl out there this season. Voluminous sleeves and a waist-defining cincher make for a well-balanced piece that would look downright DDG paired with embroidered denim or a fluted hem midi skirt.
3. Pixie Market One-Shoulder Choker Top ($72): With its choker neckline and illusion sleeve, this is the kind of blouse that can captivate an entire room. Consider it your new sartorial BFF — you’ll be busting this beauty out on the regular: dinner dates, rooftop cocktails, gallery openings, new collection previews.
4. COS Dress With Frill Detailed Sleeves ($125): Just when you thought the LBD couldn’t get any better, this modern shift stepped out onto the scene. Designed with folded frilled details with a geometric edge, dress it down for daytime with embroidered ankle boots and souped-up hoops. Or go all out with shimmery stilettos and sculptural chandelier earrings for a night at the theater.
5. ASOS Top With Tie Sleeve Detail ($28): Pretty pastels get a RN upgrade in this tie-sleeve top that would make any Instababe swoon. Score all the style points this season with an embroidered mini skirt and mules. Bonus points for statement shades and asymmetric earrings — all the makings for a foolproof #OOTD.
6. Mango Ruffled Blouse ($40): Cascading ruffles? They’re basically a straight-shot to cool. Lengths of flowy fabric stream from bell sleeves to create a look that toes the line between edgy and ethereal — the perfect mix, if you ask us. For after-work shenanigans, grab an embellished clutch, a sleek choker, and don’t-mess booties. Can you say #flawless?
7. Storets Poly 2 Way Stripe Shirt ($69): A button-up back, v-shaped neckline, and princess sleeves serve up the perfect blend of sweet and sassy. Go bold and layer this number over ultra bright trousers, or channel your inner fashion icon and slip on a pair of distressed white denim and sling-back heels for Sunday morning brunch.
8. Backstage 57th Street Dress ($240): Girlllll. Turning heads is a given with this fiery red frock and classic ankle-strap sandals in tow. The high neckline brings the sophistication like none other, while the ruffled asymmetric sleeve is laced with fun, flirtatious appeal.
9. H&M Ruffled Blouse ($50): Forget sequins — ruffles have officially taken over as the most covetable embellishment this season. Oversized sleeves accented with tiers of ruffles along the shoulders create a sense of volume and drama that transform this otherwise understated blouse into a bonafide scene-stealer.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.