One of the best parts about having a baby is getting to pick out all those adorable newborn clothes and high-tech baby gear when you’re pregnant. But what about products you can use while the baby is still cookin’? Believe us when we tell you there are plenty of them. From tricked out Fitbit-esque wearables made with expectant moms in mind to devices that monitor your baby’s activity, technology has made now a fantastic time to be pregnant. Here are nine of our favorite gadgets on the market right now for you and your wee one.
1. kickTrak ($5): This handy little gadget is really useful when you are nearing the end of the pregnancy; it can be used to time contractions so you know how close you are to going into labor. It’s also pretty nifty the months prior to that last one ’cause it helps track your baby’s movements in an electronic log.
2. AngelSounds ($32): Hearing your baby’s heartbeat for the first time is a moment every parent remembers. Having that assurance that your baby is okay is soothing, and in that moment, it’s like nothing else matters. AngelSounds is a gadget that lets future moms hear their baby’s heartbeat anytime they want, ensuring a peace of mind throughout your pregnancy.
3. Lullabelly ($55): A lot of parents-to-be love playing music for their unborn baby, and Lullabelly makes it easier than ever. Basically, it’s a soft band that is secured around the stomach with a pocket for your phone, iPod or whatever portable device you use to play music. It comes with its own speaker and an earphone splitter so you can listen to the music along with your baby.
4. Bio Bands ($12): If you are pregnant and regularly experiencing some terrible morning sickness, this wearable could become your new best friend. It relieves nausea through acupressure. A small bead is gently pressed down onto your wrist, and amazingly studies have shown that this does just the trick. There are no chemicals in the band or any side effects.
5. Bellabeat Leaf (Coming out soon): The minute you find out you’re pregnant, you suddenly become more aware of your own health and everything you put into your body. Bellabeat Leaf helps expectant mothers monitor their health, serving as a kind of Fitbit for you and your baby — monitoring steps taken, sleep patterns and even stress levels. Plus, it looks like a pretty bracelet, not a fitness tracker. Right now, it’s only available for pre-order, but you can sign up on the website and be notified when there’s a shipment in.
6. Kickbee (Coming out soon): On the surface, a gadget that sends tweets “from” your not-yet-born baby may sound crazy, but there is actually a touching purpose here, so stick with us. The Kickbee is a wearable belly band that tweets every time your baby kicks. The idea behind it is that it lets your partner (and other loved ones) know when your baby kicks so they get to experience the excitement too.
7. Bellybuds ($30): Similar to Lullabelly, Bellybuds lets your baby listen to music without making everyone around you having to listen too. The cute li’l speakers stick to your belly. You can also record your voice — or your loved ones’ voices — and play that for your baby. There’s also an earphone splitter, so you and your baby can both listen at the same time. (Photo via Bellybuds Facebook)
8. BabyPlus Prenatal Education System ($138): Your child can start learning before he or she is even born with these audio lessons. It might sound a little overboard, but infants who used BabyPlus have been found be be more responsive, nurse better and sleep more soundly.
9. QuardioBase (Coming out soon): This scale is great for anyone tracking their weight, but it’s especially useful for expectant moms. It’s the only scale out there with a pregnancy mode, which helps moms-to-be track their progress. It also has Wifi and uses BlueTooth technology, so you can connect it with your smartphone.
Are any of these on your wish list? Tell us in the comments below!