Whether you’re coupled up or flying solo this Valentine’s Day, narrowing in on the perfect red dress (sorry, no LBDs here!) is no easy feat. But don’t be mistaken: It’s the most important step! Before you can even start thinking about a romantic ‘do or fun, V-Day-inspired nail + lipstick options, it’s the dress that will set the scene for your entire look for the night. Luckily, there’s no shortage of romantic red dresses this year. Think anything from a sultry slip dress for a candlelit dinner with bae to a free-wheelin’ shift dress that would be best reserved for a girls’ night out. No matter what your plans entail this February 14, scroll down for 20 red dresses that will straight-up slay.
1. Paper Crown Francesca Dress ($275): Looking red carpet-ready is a breeze when you have a dress like this on standby. This red, halter-neck maxi shows off just the right amount of skin (hello side slits!). Throw on nude ankle strap sandals to run with it.
2. Tobi Heart Flutters Shift Dress ($74): If you consider yourself the queen of hearts, then you obvs need this dress. The rose petal print is not only way charming, but it’ll serve as the ultimate conversation starter when chatting up that hottie on the dance floor.
3. Forever 21 Contemporary Cami Crop Top ($16) + A-Line Skirt ($18): The only thing better than a red dress is a red co-ord with major T-Swift appeal. Edge this up a notch by tossing on a leather jacket for a long night of wine-induced V-Day shenanigans.
4. Reformation Slip Dress ($218): ICYMI: Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday this year, which means that you have free rein to embrace a more lazy girl ‘tude. Whether you stay in for non-stop lounging or hit up an upscale nightclub, this pajama-esque slip dress won’t disappoint.
5. NBD I’m Back Dress ($140): Whether you’ve been together for three months or three years, a strapless dress this DDG won’t disappoint. For a hot date night, the bodycon silhouette and barely-there back will have you ready to mingle. Throw lace-up steppers into the mix and you’re ready to take on the night.
6. Missguided Cape Body-Con Dress ($58): Have a date for Valentine’s Day, will find a buzz-worthy dress to hit the town in. If you’re going to get all gussied up, then you might as well go all out with this bodycon number featuring a high-drama cape.
7. Vero Moda Petite Back Detail Dress ($52): Rest assured that all eyes will be on you — or rather, that seductive lace back. The sweet chiffon and deep red are the perfect pairing for a fancy night out with your boo.
8. For Love & Lemons San Marcos Mini Dress ($194): Mark our words: This vintage-y lace dress will be love at first sight. Complement the flirty peplum hem and open back with a crystal ear cuff and some classic d’Orsay pumps.
9. Missguided Plunge Ladder Detail Skater Dress ($68): Hone in on your single status with this playful fit-and-flare dress that’s worthy of a twirl (or two). While the plunging neckline doesn’t call for much bling, a body chain or some oversized hoop earrings will get the job done.
10. Forever 21 V-Neck Lace Maxi Dress ($30): Pull out all the stops with this sheer lace maxi that shows off more than just a little bit of skin. (Take note: V-Day is not the time to be blending in!) Let the head-turning neckline do all the talking by opting for natural waves and minimal makeup.
11. P.A.R.O.S.H. Classic Collar Shift Dress ($211): Go from desk to drinks with this wine-colored dress that will inspire you to do less this Valentine’s Day. Accentuate the prim and proper collar with a pair of sparkly stud earrings that don’t mess around.
12. Forever 21 Plus Size High-Neck Dress ($16): Every girl needs a red dress this versatile in her wardrobe for safe keeping. Dress the high neckline up with a top knot and chandelier earrings or pare it down with chunky platforms — the sartorial possibilities are endless.
13. Nasty Gal Sweetest Cape Off-the-Shoulder Dress ($58): We heart it: This off-the-shoulder dress-turned-cape in disguise is as sophisticated as it gets without being overly predictable. For front row seats at the opera, it can be best teamed up with some tassel earrings and a minaudière clutch.
14. Kimchi Blue Sabina Ruffle Wrap Mini Dress ($69): A night of salsa dancing means that you finally have an excuse to channel your favorite emoji (you know the one). The frilly ruffles and eye-catching, lace-up back will have you sashaying to the beat in no time. Red dancin’ shoes are obligatory, of course.
15. Saylor Valencia Dress ($286): Can you say V-Day #goals? This beautiful lace dress is not only worthy of The Bachelor (cue the final red rose, please), but it’s stunning enough for a moonlight dinner with your beau. Pair with lace-up flats and a set of diamond stud earrings.
16. Kate Spade Open Back Silk Mini Dress ($428): Treat yo’self with this OMG-worthy silk dress that will make you forget all about your single status. The bow-tastic back may or may not inspire you to play dress up this V-Day.
17. ASOS ’70s Deep Plunge Belted Midi Dress ($77): Proof that not all red dresses are created equal, this belted red frock exudes confidence. Channel your inner Sasha Fierce at a post-work V-Day shindig by pairing this guy up with a handchain and suede mules for a laid-back chic look.
18. The Jetset Diaries Goddess in Rome Dress ($268): Practically made for a goddess (and fit for a fairy tale ending), this swoon-inducing gown will keep the compliments coming all night. Between the cascading ruffles, lace-up front and that drastic high-low hem, it’s safe to say that all you’ll have to do is show up.
19. Tobi Selena Skater Dress ($58): A round of speed dating calls for a feisty LRD (little red dress) that means business. Since the satiny finish already reads after-hours, all that’s missing is a ‘90s-esque choker and some strappy heels.
20. Silence + Noise Lattice Back Shift Dress ($69): Call up your girl gang, ‘cause this seemingly non-fussy dress is ready to come out and play. While the geometric cutouts on the back keeps things exciting, the simple silhouette will always do you right, especially when paired with black lace tights and OTK boots.
What will you be wearing this Valentine’s Day? Follow us on Pinterest for more V-Day styling tips.