Who doesn’t love a great, reliable slow-cooker recipe (especially around the time of the holidays)? Getting ready for the holidays can be stressful, so we’ve got a fuss-free side dish recipe that practically cooks itself, making your Christmas dinner just a little bit easier. These creamy scallion and Greek yogurt mashed potatoes cook for about four hours, unattended, so you can go about your business and holiday prep.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 5 pounds russet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (or half-and-half)
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- 7 ounces 2-percent or full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced (plus extra for garnish)
1. Generously coat the ceramic insert of your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Add the peeled and diced potatoes, smashed garlic cloves, milk (or half-and-half), salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Toss to coat and cover with the lid. Cook on high for 4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
2. Once the potatoes are fork-tender, pour the hot, melted butter directly into the ceramic insert and mash the potatoes until smooth. Fold in the Greek yogurt and sliced scallions until completely incorporated.
3. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving dish and sprinkle with extra scallions as a garnish. Serve immediately.