You’re staring at your closet, thinking you have nothing to wear, but here’s a thought: Just throw on some sequins — head-to-toe. That’s right, the fabrics of prom dresses past and present (sequins, paillettes and other embellishments) are here in full force, and it’s a good bet that this will be the dark horse of summer celebrity red carpet style.
It’s refreshing to see everyone super dressed up again, and it’s really cool to see the juxtaposition between what they rock during the day on Snapchat and what shows up in red carpet photos. Femininity is flourishing, and it’s a really nice departure from simple black dresses and super sleek, unadorned styles. Here are a few of our favorite gals wearing their star-spangled best recently, because minimalist fashion is so over.
1. Demi Lovato: This songstress heating up your airwaves kicked off her summer with this custom-designed sequined Moschino gown. It’s easy to see why she loved the design enough to wear it to the Met Gala; the non-sequined parts expertly show off her curves. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
2. Meghan Trainor: “Lips Are Movin,’” and it’s easy to see why — the outspoken pop star slayed it at the Billboard Music Awards. The dress code might not have explicitly said Las Vegas style, but Meghan nailed the vibe with ombre sequins. (Photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
3. Ciara: This dress had quite a few people scratching their heads — how did she get it to stay up!? — but this gravity-defying dress from Swiss designer Philip Plein will go down in history as one of the sparkliest, sexiest celebrity dresses ever. As a host of the Billboard Music Awards, she totally brought her A-game to both the red carpet and her hosting duties.
4. Hailey Clauson: This Sports Illustrated bombshell showed some major leg at an event in France; it’s really great to see that she’s mastered the whole bare legs, cover up top philosophy. There’s a really good chance that the dress weighs a gazillion pounds, but she’s wearing it like the champ she is. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
5. Bella Hadid: Here’s a double whammy for you — nude and sparkly. Bella of course can pull it off like no other, although it doesn’t hurt that she’s got some serious bling around her neck to help get your attention. Cutouts, nude, sparkle — it should be a recipe for a fashion disaster, but all the trends actually work together here. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
6. Milla Jovovich: This model/actress was super popular in the ‘90s, but her style has kept her relevant past then. This silver gown looks so comfortable! She probably curled up on a sofa halfway through the night (wouldn’t blame her!). (Photo via Ian Gavan/Getty)
7. Sienna Miller: Hello, gorgeous! This British beauty can make almost anything look fantastic, but she’s totally nailed the mix of clean-lined and over-the-top with this silver custom Ralph Lauren frock. (Photo via Tristan Fewings/Getty)
What do you think of this return to dressing up? Tweet us @BritandCo!