There’s no better way to fool the world into thinking you have your ish together than with a good old-fashioned bun. Whether it’s low and refined or intricate and braided, this go-to ‘do works on every level. But instead of opting for lazy girl-approved messy buns, Instababes everywhere are whipping out their handy-dandy brush and hairspray in favor of sleek, ballerina-inspired styles perfect for boss ladies and street style icons alike. From high and tight to low-key at the nape of your neck, smooth, sculptural buns are all the rage. So keep those pesky in-between bangs at bay with a little inspo from these 13 styles.
1. Sleek Ballerina Bun: Why settle for flyaways when your hair can look this good? Spray a healthy amount of hairspray over your strands to help keep this style smooth and in place.
2. Bangs and Barrettes: Bring out the kid in you by adding a few throwback hair accessories into the mix. Twist your hair and secure tightly with an invisible band to let your face-framing fringe take center stage.
3. Top Bun: A ballerina-approved top knot that features loads of volume is about to become your new go-to for work and play. Pair it with a matte lip and bold brows for major girlboss vibes.
4. Girl Next Door: This overall look is the epitome of casual meets cool. Put your ombre on full display with a simple, sleek bun for the weekend.
5. Braids: Take your hair to new heights with this omg-worthy top knot. Pile micro braids into one after-five style, or pattern all-over French braids to create an epic top knot.
6. Twisted Knot: Do something different with your strands a la this twisted chic top knot. Spread apart the bun to create a fan effect that takes boardroom hair to the next level.
7. Pulled-Back Bun: Growing out your bangs? Try twisting them back into a bun. Pair it with a subtle pink lip for a versatile daytime look.
8. Baby Bun: Short-haired girls, this style’s for you! Pull back your strands into a baby bun and pin it against your head. Pair with a fierce cat eye for an effortlessly badass beauty look.
9. Side Bangs: Add a casual bent to your bun with these easy breezy sideswept strands. Whether you’re rocking a cocktail dress or a jean jacket, this easy-to-execute style is sure to impress.
10. Soft Sides Bun: The higher the bun, the better, amirite? Slick your hair back into a high-octane twist, leaving a few strands loose at your temples to soften the statement.
11. Sweet Pea: Isn’t this look stunning? Try leaving your bun in when you’re headed to bed to wake up with flawless curls in the a.m.
12. Braided Top: Upgrade your typical sleek bun by creating a fishtail French braid on the top of your head. Tease your strands for maximum volume to make your bun larger than life.
13. Hearted Bun: Tired of a plain-Jane bun? Add a barrette to the back of your knot for a sweet surprise effect.
Need more hair trends in your life? Follow us on Pinterest for more ideas.