Chances are your holiday party look is going to be ultra glam. Sequins are in season, glitz is in full gear and your outfit is going to feature all of the things. So when it comes to your hair, you’ll want to balance out the look with something simple, sleek and celebrity approved. Slicked-back updos have been trending on the red carpet all year, from Beyoncé’s sky-high Met Ball pony to Rooney Mara’s most recent slick PonyBun, giving A-listers’ ensembles a more elevated feel than messy waves or a lazy-girl pony could ever touch. Take a cue from these 12 celebs: A sleek updo is perfect for your holiday party hair moment. Get a glimpse below.
1. Rooney Mara: This unique topsy ponytail is a creative take on a regular updo. It’s not quite a bun and not quite a ponytail, but rather a beautiful hybrid of the two. Use a metallic gold tie to complete the look and make it glam. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty)
2. Lauren Conrad: Leave it to LC to rock this cool departure from the usual topknot. This updo is wrapped flat and loose for a unique spin on the messy bun, so the shape becomes more wreath-like. It’s gorgeous as is but would also look amazing using a fishtail braid. (Photo via Michael Loccisano/Getty)
3. Chrissy Teigen: Chrissy’s pouf + high ponytail are seriously inspiring. Flat iron your hair stick straight and then bump it up with a little backcombing and hairspray to get a ‘do with some serious height. (Photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)
4. Gigi Hadid: A simple bun like this one is appropriate for all occasions. Low, slicked-back chignons are the epitome of glossy hair perfection and look stunning without detracting from detailed statement gowns or dresses. (Photo via Rommel Demano/Getty)
5. Emma Stone: This is STUNNING. A pinned updo is ultra polished, and the smooth swirl of this one is beyond elegant. Copy this look for a fancy cocktail party, black tie affair or office soirée. (Photo via Danny E. Martindale/Getty
6. Beyoncé: Mrs. Knowles-Carter seems to be a big fan of the super high and slick ponytail, as she’s pictured here wearing it to TIDAL X: 10/20 and previously also rocked it at the 2015 Met Gala. Honestly, we understand why. She looks amazing. (Photo via Ilya S. Savenok/Getty)
7. Emma Watson: While Emma’s side-swept bangs are neat and tidy, her bun is just a little bit messy, which lends texture to her overall look. The additional bonus of embellished bobby pins make this ‘do a perfect 10. (Photo via Dave J Hogan/Getty)
8. Taylor Swift: T. Swift knows how to rock all the cool hairstyles. The low knotted ponytail she wore to the 2015 MTV VMAs incorporated a deep side part and bangs that made her whole ensemble come together as modern and edgy. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Rihanna: To get this look, simply comb back your hair, tie it high on your head and let those curly ends go wild. It’s super fab because you get sleekness and volume all in one go. If you need help keeping pesky flyaways at bay, use a little spritz of hairspray on a toothbrush or comb. (Photo via Michael Loccisano/Getty)
10. Kate Bosworth: This hidden chignon is so effortlessly pretty. By wrapping the rest of your hair around a low bun, you create this gorgeous new take on a French twist that you can debut at your next shindig or house party. (Photo via Angela Weiss/Getty)
11. Blake Lively: This one is part ponytail, part bun and all amazingness. The unusual bubble shape of this bun makes it a standout look with chic appeal. Everyone in the room will have their eyes on your ‘do. (Photo via Andreas Rentz/Getty)
12. Jessica Alba: You can’t go wrong with a classic. This gelled topknot offers a cool upgrade in the form of escaping end strands. If you want shiny, streamlined and modern hair, this should be your new go-to look. (Photo via Ben Gabbe/Getty)
Which updo do you plan on replicating for your next bash? Share with us in the comments!