It’s camping and BBQ season… or s’mores season, as I prefer to call it. I love s’mores in all shapes and forms, but nothing is more addictive than a s’mores pizza. Bake it in a skillet and you have a delicious twist on the campfire favorite that’s impossible to resist. Make the dough by hand — you know you want to — or use store-bought dough to speed up the recipe. Just make sure to serve while still fairly warm so that the chocolate and marshmallows are at maximum gooeyness. So. Much. Yum! (PS. It’s National S’mores Day today, so make this to celebrate!)
S’mores Pizza Dough
— 9 ounces bread flour, plus more for rolling
— 6 fluid ounces tepid water
— 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
— 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
— 1 ½ teaspoons instant yeast
— ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a bowl.
2. Combine the water and oil in a measuring jug. Stir the water into the dry ingredients until you have a stiff dough.
3. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and knead for 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Roll the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to prove in a warm place for 1-1 ½ hours, until doubled.
Note: This recipe will make enough dough for 3-4 small pizzas or two large ones. If you are not using all the dough straight away, you can store it in the fridge for a couple of days. Or, freeze the dough for another day (and another s’mores pizza). Wrap loosely in oiled plastic wrap and seal each of the dough portions in freezer bags. Thaw the dough overnight in the fridge before using.
Don’t have time to make pizza dough by hand? You can make it in your stand mixer! Put the flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of the stand mixer and combine using the dough hook. Add the water/oil and knead on medium-low speed for about five minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
Want to make this a super-speedy recipe? Simply use store-bought pizza dough!
S’mores Pizza Toppings
— about 1 cup mini marshmallows
— ½ cup milk chocolate chips
— ½ cup dark chocolate chips
— graham crackers, crushed to sprinkle (optional)
— ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted or a little semolina to dust
1. Preheat the grill to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and divide into four. Keep any dough you are not using in the bowl, covered until you need it.
3. Lightly grease a small (8-inch) oven-safe frying pan with melted butter. If using a skillet, oil then dust with a little semolina.
Roll or stretch the dough out to a circle that’s slightly smaller than your pan. Transfer into the pan and press to fit. Brush all over with a little melted butter.
Cook on the stove over medium-high heat until the dough starts to bubble a little and the underside starts to brown nicely (check by lifting with a spatula). Reduce the heat to medium — you don’t want it to burn.
Spread the chocolate chips on the pizza and cook for a few minutes longer, until they start to melt.
Take off the heat and cover the chocolate with the mini marshmallows. Pop a couple in your mouth — it’s mandatory ;)
Place the pizza under the broiler (but not too close!) and watch it like a hawk — as soon as the marshmallows start to brown, move it to a lower shelf and continue to cook until the crust is evenly golden. You may want to tent the marshmallows with some aluminium foil to prevent them from browning further.
Remove from the oven and carefully transfer to a plate or serving board. Sprinkle with some crushed graham crackers if you like, slice and serve while still hot, hot, hot!
What other s’mores variations will you try this summer? Share your photos with us on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative and tag @BritandCo. Need even more summer inspiration? Head to Pinterest STAT.