Raise your hand if these beautiful açai bowls are everything on your Instagram feed? I’m obsessed with all the colorful smoothie bowls made using healthy ingredients. One ingredient that may not be on your radar (yet) is spirulina. It’s been around for awhile (actually one of the oldest life forms on Earth!), but it’s gaining in popularity and for good reasons. It’s derived from algae and is typically sold as a powder or tablet. Spirulina also contains tons of vitamins, iron and protein. It’s the superfoods of all superfoods! Add just a little bit to your smoothie or açai bowl for a healthy breakfast recipe.
makes 2 açai bowls
- 2 bananas sliced and frozen
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 handful spinach
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 teaspoon açai powder
toppings (all optional)
- agave nectar
- pomegranate arils
- chia seeds
- unsweetened coconut shreds
1. Add bananas, strawberries, coconut water, almond milk, spinach, spirulina and açai powder to blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Pour into bowl and add as many toppings as you’d like!
3. Best if eaten right away, but can be stored in freezer.
Start by adding all the ingredients (minus toppings) in a blender. Blend until smooth.
Add any toppings your little heart desires and enjoy!
This bowl is what dreams are made of. It’s seriously one of my favorites breakfasts, and it’s so healthy!
It’s vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free. This is the Holy Grail of all acai bowls.