The ’70s ruled the Spring 2015 runways, with designers sending everything from flared denim to floral mini dresses and Annie Hall-inspired workwear down the catwalk. But what really stood out was their fabric of choice. A parade of suede in unexpected colors and silhouettes — fiery red kimonos, studded purple pencil skirts and shorts — made the message loud and clear: Suede is in, and it’s gotten a major warm-weather makeover. The soft, supple fabric never goes out of style, so whether you decide to invest in a serious piece or take the faux route, you won’t have to banish it to the back of your closet when next season rolls around.
(Photo via JP Yim, Albert Urso, Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty)
1. Greylin ‘Moscow’ Perforated Faux-Suede Sheath Dress ($83): What happens when you take a universally flattering style and update it with the season’s most sought-after fabric? Your go-to frock for spring. Perforations add texture, while solid side panels highlight the waist.
3. Mango Suede and Leather Dress ($57): Switch out your fave LBD for something a little more on-trend. Leather and suede panels give this classic shift dress a cool-girl edge. Dress it up with a chic choker, another spring style staple, for a bit of ’90s flair.
4. Vince Camuto Short-Sleeve, Faux-Suede Dress ($149): Instantly elevate your work wardrobe by throwing this faux-suede shift into the mix. Wear it with a simple pair of pumps and layered necklaces for a look that will take you from your desk to drinks with the girls.
5. Forever21 Star Anise-Patterned Shirt ($15): Who said basics have to be boring? This perforated tee mixes trendy suede fabric with everyday style for a versatile piece that you can pair with everything from boyfriend jeans to an A-line skirt.
6. Ganni Suede Shirt ($137): Want to make a bold statement? This bright red shirt delivers a hint of shimmer with your suede, making it a must-wear for any casual Sunday brunch.
7. Theory Suede Cropped Bonda L Top ($445): The ultimate sports-luxe piece, this suede cropped top has a distinct, retro-varsity vibe and is proof that suede can be part of your warm weather rotation. We love it layered over a button-down shirt or over a pleated midi skirt.
8. Patterson J Kincaid Suede Mabel Tee ($149): This boxy tee channels the brightly hued suede we spotted on the runway. Strategically placed suede panels make the shirt feel like a piece of abstract art. Piet Mondrian would definitely approve.
9. H&M Suede Jacket ($299): When it’s time to put away that puffer and don some lighter duds, this lightening-blue number should be the first thing you throw on. Don’t let the bold hue hold you back — this retro-inspired topper is totally versatile. Layer it over an A-line mini or your favorite pair of jeans.
10. Stolen Girlfriends Club Suede Fringe Shirt ($398): Round up a few extra style points by swapping out a tailored blazer or knit sweater for this fringe-flecked suede over shirt. Now that’s Western flair, ya’ll.
12. ASOS Biker Jacket In Suede And Leather ($246): This leather navy blue biker just got even cooler with panels of silky suede laid across the front for a lush contrast.
13. Zara Faux-Suede Skinny Jeans ($70): Slip on these faux suede leggings for a softer, more sophisticated alternative to the leather ones you love.
14. Talitha Nisha Suede Shorts ($224): Suede shorts are the cornerstone to nailing a sophisticated, bohemian look this spring. Tack on a printed kimono and silk cami to these burgundy beauties for a Coachella-worthy look.
15. American Apparel Suede Leather Circle Skirt ($150): Flounce around this spring in a classic circle skirt in a pretty shade of pastel blue suede.
16. Diane von Furstenberg Cecily Suede/Leather & Knit Pants ($174): A trifecta of textures, these color block pants combine supple suede, sleek leather and mobile knit for one pair of killer slacks. Balance them out with a floral feminine top or a soft, chunky knit.
Love the idea? Tell us how you plan on showing off some suede this spring in the comments!